Certificates & Training:
I have obtained my M.A. in Elementary Education, currently hold an active teaching licence with the Illinois State Board of Education, and am certified to teach grades K-9. I have been employed with -and trained by- New Teacher Center, and have been coaching teachers (K-12) in Chicago Public Schools for the last three years. I have also been trained in implementing restorative practices with the International Institute of Restorative Practices and in implementing a neurodevelopmental framework when coaching teachers, parents, and students around understanding learning variances with All Kinds of Minds.
Administration & Development:
- Initiated, developed, and organized community service projects and partnerships with neighboring schools, businesses, and the Chicago Park District.
- Created and delivered a content-rich curriculum that was project and inquiry based, culturally and socially relevant, and rooted in a critical pedagogy.
- Extensive understanding in leading, managing, and engaging resistant students.
- Skilled in building trusting relationships and a culture of collaboration, with a variety of stakeholders, through ongoing and constructive dialogue.
Publications and Presentations:
- Created, presented, and facilitated a variety of professional development to teachers, coaches, mentors, and school administrators surrounding neurodevelopmental approaches to learning, executive functions, restorative practices, and social and emotional learning.
- Facilitated a professional development session at the 10th Annual Illinois New Teacher Collaborative Induction and Mentoring Conference around new teacher training in Chicago.
- Created and published multiple Action Research videos chronicling various research techniques, project based learning, and the pedagogical process related to teaching inner-city youth.
- Participant in an International Education Commons revolving around Teacher Professional
Development at Roosevelt University.
- Written and received grants from non-profits to fund project/problem based lessons.
- Contributory author of Creating Critical Classrooms Routledge; 2nd edition (August, 2014).