Face to face and E-learning Teacher
Film and Television
A passionate teaching professional with 18 plus years experience supporting a well-balanced, interactive environment while incorporating practices required, ensuring a high quality student education. Proven ability to successfully build programs and improve academic standards through work with curriculum, pedagogy and assessment and evaluation techniques. Strong education management background coupled with organizational skills and close monitoring has significantly impacted student output. In addition, twenty years of creative video editing experience including experience as a Final Cut Pro X trainer.
• Connect with and engage students: High ability to engage students in interactive learning where student participation is high and learning is considerably improved.
• Setting a high bar for students: Encourage students to keep reaching higher, no matter what their achievement level.
• Curriculum Setting/Academic planning: Ability to understand the dynamics of different groups with different backgrounds and detail courses within different frameworks.
• Pedagogy: Ability to design creative ways in which to apply traditional concepts and explore and experiment with original student thinking, significantly changing student performance
KEY ACADEMIC POSITIONS (UNDERGRADUATE AND POST-GRADUATE LEVELS):
IB Examiner, Film
London, United Kingdom – November 2016 to date
Online Instructor, Civic and Community Engagement, Communications department
E-learning Instruction, University of Missouri, Kansas City, MO – August 2016 to date
Online Instructor, Theatre Appreciation
E-learning Instruction, Itawamba Community College, Tupelo, MS – November 2015 to date
Guest Lecturer, Digital Cinema
Itawamba Community College, Fulton, MS – (November 2014 – January 2016)
Head, Academic Delivery AV department/ Assistant Professor, AV and Journalism departments
Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communications, Symbiosis International University, Pune, India. (June 2012 – April 2014)
Visiting faculty in six Media and Communications Colleges, India
Taught a range of subjects. Also designed curriculum for an 80 hour course in a Liberal Arts college. (August 2012 to October 2014)
Head of Broadcast Television department
Indian Institute of Journalism & New Media, Bangalore, India. (August 2004 – April 2011)
Director, Founder/lead course instructor
Magic-in-Motion, Bangalore, India. (August 1997 to Jan 2012). This film school specialized in teaching fiction and documentary filmmaking in intensive, part time, short-term courses to students and working professionals readying them for the industry.
Across the face to face positions, key subjects taught were Film Grammar, Dramatic Narrative structure, Script-writing, Still Photography, Direction, Production, and Editing for Narrative film-making students, and Tools of Television, Non-linear Editing, Magazine production and Documentary film-making for Broadcast Television students. Received above average teaching feedback from the director, colleagues and students at every institute. Every job required both teaching and administrative skills. In the e-learning positions key responsibilities are grading and mentoring students, leading discussions and mentoring.
OTHER FILM RELATED INVOLVEMENT:
• Writer, Producer, Director and Editor for short bilingual film, “The Benefaction”, shot in India. International and national release in 2017.
• Line Producer on short film “The Ivar Incident”, shot in Hollywood – July 2015
• Part of the committee to prescreen films for the international Kodak scholarship program organized by the University Film and Video Association, Washington – June 2015
• On the organizing committee of the Tupelo Film Festival in Tupelo, MS – April 2015
• Founded and ran an independent film school for 17 years – 1997 to 2012, Bangalore, India.
• Within one year at the SIMC, Pune, was promoted from Asst Professor to Head, Academic Delivery. In the first year in this position, improved student academic output by 80%, according to industry professionals.
• Set up Broadcast Television department at IIJNM, Bangalore, which is the premier J school in the country, today.
• Designed and taught an 80 hours filmmaking elective for Liberal Arts students at Symbiosis School for Liberal Arts, Pune, India in Oct-Nov 2013, and again in September 2014.
• Designed, organized, then taught large parts of the first ever summer school filmmaking course at the Symbiosis International University, Pune, India – May 2013
• On the organizational committee for an International Relations Conference being jointly organized by Symbiosis International University, Pune, India and the Ministry of External Affairs of India - December 2013.
• One of three judges on the national pre-jury team for “India Is Global Video Challenge 2012”, an initiative of the Public Diplomacy Division of the Ministry of External Affairs of India. The final jury consisted of international film personalities. There were over 270 entries from across 16 countries – March 2013
• Accepted by Apple International, for training to be an AATC FCP Trainer
• Was a member of the Nomination Jury for the 4th CMS Vatavaran film festival organized by ‘Breakthrough’ (a New York based organization) through their India office in New Delhi - 2007
• Headed and coordinated a 10 member Transcription team for Times TV, New York for a one-hour documentary Thomas L. Friedman reporting: ‘The Other Side of Outsourcing’
AWARDS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS A VIDEO EDITOR:
• Documentary “Awake in the Dream” won the Jury Award - Cosmic Cine Awards 2012 in Austria
• Documentary “Taking Destiny in their Hands” was accepted on ‘Culture Unplugged’, a human rights documentary site - 2014
• 1st place in National competition, India - corporate film, “Girl Child - 2006
• Only entry from Asia, and one of the 10 finalists in UNICEF short film competition “Vanaja’s story” – 2005
• Edited a 45 minute landmark documentary, used internationally to motivate discussions on Working Children’s Rights and Participation - 2004
• MFA in Digital Cinema from National University, Los Angeles. Coursework completed with 4.0 GPA. Thesis short narrative film received an Honors grade. Degree conferral: January 2017
• Certificate course in Film Appreciation - Goa, India - July 2012
• Apple Certified Final Cut Pro X Professional User - 2012
• M.A. Mass Communications, MCRC (Mass Communication Research Centre), New Delhi, India - 1991
• 1-year Diploma Course in Journalism from Media Centre, Bangalore, India – 1988
• B.Sc Home Science – Bangalore, India – 1986
WES has evaluated the foreign M.A. degree to be equivalent to a US Master’s in Mass Communications with a 3.07 GPA, and the B.Sc. to be equivalent to a US Bachelor’s degree with a 3.08 GPA.