I am deeply committed to education and course development. As a teacher and performer, critical listening and research have provided the analytical foundation for my instruction. I focus on educational quality and pedagogical need so students, both in private lessons and ensemble situations, can develop as musicians. I strive to instill performance etiquette, arranging skills, the application of theory to instrument, songwriting, harmony, melodic development, arranging, ear training, and music history. I urge my students to understand the melodic/harmonic relationships in music and to apply their musical knowledge to everything they play.
I am a Guitar Instructor with almost 20 years teaching experience. I am a Berklee alumni and am currently completing my doctorate in Music Education at Boston University. I am confident the many years of teaching experience and my background in music education makes me a convincing and successful guitar instructor. Even though guitar is my principal instrument, I can play about 20 other instruments, all at an advanced level.
Doctor of Musical Arts Boston University, Boston, MA
Music Education Expected Completion 2018
Master of Music Boston University, Boston, MA
Music Education Graduated May 2011
Bachelor of Music Berklee College of Music, Boston, MA
Music Production & Engineering Graduated May 2006
Bachelor of Arts West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
Biology Graduated Dec. 1997
HONORS AND AWARDS
Berklee Achievement Scholarship Berklee College of Music
Don Puluse Award for Outstanding Musicianship Berklee College of Music
Blackboard Teaching Certification
Boston University RCR Program for Doctoral Candidates and Post-Docs: Social & Behavioral
Good Clinical Practice Course (US FDA focus)
Human Subjects Protection Training: Social & Behavioral
Information Privacy and Security for Faculty
CURRENT WORK EXPERIENCE
Marblehead and Salem Schools of Music April 2008 – Present Director of Curriculum, Program Development, & Lead Instructor (concealed information)
• Director and Instructor for Private and Group Lessons, Harmony, Theory, and Performance Ensembles.
• Teach guitar, bass, clarinet, saxophone, and piano lessons to students of all ages and backgrounds.
• Responsible for group and individual woodwind lessons focusing on overall technique and musicality, including facility, breath, phrasing, rhythm, dynamics, and articulation.
• Develop, author, and refine guitar/bass/horn exercises for use in the school’s private lessons.
• Implement new programs using songwriting, arrangement, and theory-based instruction including a MyBand Summer Camp.
• Conduct Master Classes / Clinics for guitarists focusing on technique, gear, and song analysis.
• Lead and organize multiple recitals a year that focus on Jazz, Rock, Classic, and Popular Music.
• Develop, instruct, and lead ensembles consisting of mixed age and competency levels.
Code Blue (a charity-orientated band), Marblehead, MA. June 2014 – Present
Music Director and Guitarist (concealed information)
• We are a group of musicians dedicated to raising funds for various causes on Boston’s North Shore.
• Contribute to causes such as ALS research; the North Shore Cancer Walk / NSMC Cancer Center, SIDS research, the Gloucester Fisherman’s Association, domestic violence, cardiac & stroke research, as well as various families in need in the North Shore community.
• To date, Code Blue has help raise over $100,000 for these causes.
TakeLessons, San Diego, CA Sept. 2013 - Present
Guitar and Piano Instructor (concealed information)
• Provide private music instruction and theory to students of all performance levels and age that uses the capacity and resources to teach styles ranging from Rock to Classical to Jazz to Country to Metal using the songs and exercises necessary to help students become musicians.
• Develop and tailor lessons specific to the student’s wants and musical interests.
• Write and use musical examples, printouts, and instructional material regardless of whether the student plays electric, acoustic, or classical guitar as I make sure each student progresses.
• Design lessons using chord diagrams, theory, charts, and exercises to help students.
• Organize multiple recitals throughout the year to ensure that students can experience the thrill of live performance and the excitement of crowd response.
St. Paul’s Foundation Ryan’s Guitars Project, Marblehead, MA January 2016 – May 2016
Program Coordinator and International Curriculum Consultant (concealed information)
• Work closely with the music program in the Middle East region of Madaba, Jordan to develop and create both music education and group-based instrumental (guitar) programs for students ages 7-18.
• Design and author curriculum consisting of nine books, including dozens of musical examples and pictures to demonstrate technique and musicianship.
• Provide oversight and private instruction to the program’s instructors all over the world to ensure a high level of quality and efficient education using online guitar lessons.
• Offer guidance, criticism, and the analysis of student progress and participation in the music education classes.
Avatar Studios, New York, NY Sept. 2006 - April 2007
Freelance Mix Engineer and Production Assistant (concealed information)
• Assistant Mix Engineer to the only Engineer-in-Residence.
• Recall all mix information including the Pro Tools HD setup with a Yamaha DM 2000 Console including microphone choice, mic placement, outboard gear, and patch bay information.
• Maintain the media inventory, equipment, and outboard gear.
Please see (concealed information) for complete Experience Listings
music reading lessons closeby? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest guitar lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, music theory lessons for all!
Taking blues guitar lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$60||Not available||$60|