"There is no substitute really for learning about the world of work and being in the world of work. You can do that through internships. You can do it through summer job experiences or even from volunteer jobs in your local community. Strive early to get some kind of practical work experience." -Alexis Herman
What comes to mind when you hear the word "summer"? Is it...swimming in lakes, longer nights, drinking pints at the pub with your mates, going on vacation, festivals, beach days, wearing tees and sunglasses, and lots of sunny days? Whatever does come to mind, summer brings to mind positive memories that do not regularly occur in other seasons.
Nevertheless, although summer might be filled with excitement, for students, it usually means one thing: summer jobs!
Working is never thoroughly enjoyed when the weather is so lovely outside; however, it must be done to earn money for the necessary expenses; life isn't so cheap! Yet, did you know that summer jobs can be completed abroad? You mean I could earn money and vacation in Spain this summer at the same time? YES!
Without further delay, in today's article, we shall consider how it is possible to find summer jobs abroad for students and others in the UK.
Why Summer Jobs are Important
Don't you just wish you had a rich uncle that could pay for your life and you wouldn't have to ever work again? Don't we all! Nonetheless, the sad reality is that no matter our situation, rich or poor, we all need to work to pay the bills.
The idea of working during the beautiful summer months is especially a dismal thought for full-time secondary or university students who already give so much during the school year that the last possible thing they desire to do is work; can't they just take a break?
Although young ones in their late teens and early 20s want to feel free to do whatever they please without any restraints, life costs money and parents must demonstrate that they are not cash machines.
Therefore, it is important to learn from that a young age, like it or not students, that there are far more pros than cons to getting a summer job. Such as? The following reasons are indisputable and will clearly explain the importance of a summer job:
- Extra Spending Money: let's not beat around the bush; life is costly. Most families in the United Kingdom are already struggling to make two ends meet; therefore, children need to value the importance of money more than ever before. It is best to start with a summer job in secondary school since it will prepare you to budget extra spending money in the complicated university years. After working long hours and receiving a paycheck, young ones garner an appreciation for money and more careful to spend on things they will actually need.
- Networking Connections: it is never too early to make connections that can last a lifetime. College students who select summer jobs are wise to create relationships with people that can potentially help them get ahead in the future with employment and education opportunities. In most university summer employment positions, there are various older business associates who are gold mines of information in the specific field of expertise that you desire to work in.
- An Inside Look Into Other Careers: when you're young you may not know what you really want to do with your life and you may resent your parents for forcing you to get another job; however, by trying distinct summer jobs you may become familiar with what you like and do not like. For instance, as a temp at an advertising agency, you may develop a talent for graphic arts and realise that flipping burgers will not be your future!
No matter what you think of summer jobs, we're honestly telling you that the previously mentioned reasons are bulletproof and will boast fantastic results. So get off the couch, stop playing on your XBOX and start gaining experience with a summer job!
What if working a summer abroad interests you more than finding one in your hometown or city? Have no fear, Superprof is here to tell you that there are many summer jobs available abroad! Read the following subheading to find out more about how they can be found.
Where to Find Summer Employment Positions Abroad
While England, Northern Ireland, Wales, and Scotland are quite lovely in the summer, there are many university students who are always looking for an adventure and would much rather see parts unknown and explore distinct cultures while working the summer months to save for tuition and other things.
Also, considering the fact that there are so many low-cost airlines offering fantastic fares that have made the world a global village, the idea of finding a summer employment position abroad is not far fetched and uncommon. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that there are a variety of options available online to all those who want to find summer jobs away from home.
In addition, it is essential to state that since the world has a northern and southern hemisphere, there is technically the possibility to accept summer jobs in two distinct periods and both when school is off. How so? For instance, in the northern hemisphere summer is during the months of June, July, and August and in the southern hemisphere the months of December, January, and February.
Therefore, summer jobs, depending on the hemisphere, can be accepted during the winter or summer holidays in the UK.
Without further ado, the following are the best sites to find summer jobs in other countries:
- Summer Jobs Abroad: based in the UK and featuring a loyal fanbase, the Summer Jobs Abroad site is a fantastic way to find a summer job in countries such as Austria, Canada, France, Qatar, and Turkey. Also, users of the site can decide to choose a specific category, if they want accommodation or not, and if they desire part-time or full-time work. So many previous users boast fantastic reviews and are satisfied with the jobs they have chosen. Check out their site to utilise its user-friendly interface.
- One World 365: since the website launched in 2007, One World 365 has been helping people all over the world enjoy meaningful experiences while travelling. While their primary goal is to provide adventure travel that specialises in gap years, career breaks, volunteer programs, and teaching jobs, there are some specific jobs that are offered for a short time during the summer months. Such as? Teaching English as a Second Language, summer camp guides, and working at international companies in the business world.
- BUNAC: known for enabling life-changing and exciting job adventures since 1962, BUNAC offers many distinct employment opportunities such as internships, volunteer expeditions, and short-term summer jobs. To whet the appetite of users, we hugely recommend browsing the website's homepage to see some of the best summer jobs that available overseas in lands such as the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan. Their website is fantastically created to make it easier to chat and get more information.
While it is true that the worldwide web is filled with attractive options to find overseas summer jobs, the previously mentioned are the cream of the crop and worthy of specific consideration.
However, what if one still needs help receiving information about how to find specific summer jobs abroad? Read the following subheading to have all your questions answered!
Try volunteering abroad to open up your horizons to new experiences!
Tips for Finding Summer Jobs Overseas
In an ever-changing world, it has become more difficult than ever before to secure a job position and keep it. Why's that? Well, since the economy is consistently unpredictable, there is more competition than ever before; even for student summer jobs!
Since they have fewer obligations than other people, young ones are hired last and fired first when things get tough.
Therefore to stand out as superior among the rest, it is essential to hone your skills and following the subsequent pieces of advice:
- Start Searching Early: don't be lazy and keep the job search for last-minute in months such as April or May, try applying for positions in the early spring to beat the crowds and ensure the summer job of your dreams; hopefully abroad in an exotic land!
- Be More Creative and Flexible Than the Competition: possessing an interactive and attractive resume is a brilliant way to rise above the competition. This can be done by seeking the assistance of others; also, by offering more available times than not, you become more attractive to the future employer.
- Look for Virtual Jobs: if you don't find a summer job abroad, bring your summer job overseas with you! How's that? Find virtual jobs such as teaching online, translation, or as a virtual assistant and work in your dream destination all summer long.
We are super thrilled about your future summer job abroad and all of the beautiful experiences that you will have. Remember to follow the advice in today's article and everything will be a smashing success!