"Without the aesthetic, the computer is but a mindless speed machine, producing effects without substance, form without relevant content, or content without meaningful form." -Paul Rand
While it is true that we should be extremely thankful for the modern advances in technology that increase efficiency and productivity, it is essential to state that there is nothing more frustrating for blog writers, website developers, graphic designers, secretaries, bookkeepers, and other professionals who use technology than a slow computer.
A slow computer completely frustrates the user, prevents productivity, and makes the computing experience an entire mess.
Ever feel like throwing your PC or Mac out your 21st floor office window? You're not alone!
Nevertheless, it is vital to state that since the technological world is changing at a rapid pace, state of the art computers are always being updated and replaced making your PC or Mac more obsolete as the years pass by.
Therefore, it is impossible to prevent your computer from becoming useless one day. However, some things can be done to extend the longevity of your PC or Mac and prevent it from slowing down too quickly.
What are some things that can be done to speed up your PC computer or Macbook and give it a few more good years?
Without further ado, to aid individuals in speeding up their computers, Superprof has found effective ways in which PCs and Macs can be made faster.
Speeding Up Your PC
"We are not even close to finishing the basic dream of what the PC can be." -Bill Gates
The PC is a multi-purpose computer that is designed and priced for everyday users. PCs are generally utilized for personal or lucrative use at businesses in the UK and around the world.
Operating systems developed by Microsoft and hardware created by Intel have dominated the world of personal computers.
Nevertheless, even if companies such as Microsoft and Intel are backed by some of the world's most brilliant minds, PCs are flawed and, as time passes and other technologies are introduced, the feeling and illusions that you are using a machine that will last a lifetime are diminished since you are now the owner of a sluggish and slow PC.
With that being said, it is essential to state that while computers are not designed to last a lifetime, specific solutions can speed up PC performance to run faster, get the job done for an extended period and prevent users from buying a new computer.
What are these fantastic solutions you speak of?
There are a few add-ons, efficient software, and processors to increase the speed of your computer; no matter how old it is. The following are the best solutions:
- AVG TuneUp: one of the most affordable software, only £44.99 per year, to increase the speed of your computer is known as AVG TuneUP. Why download this program to increase computer efficiency? Some of users favourite features include a tool that frees explicitly disk space and an app that analyses inevitable crashes to see what's going and which applications are slowing your computer down and how they need to be fixed; defragmenting is done automatically!
- Samsung 860 EVO 1TB: add-ons or accessories such as hard disk drives play an essential role in how your Windows PC performs. Available for purchase online at various virtual stores, the 860 EVO 1TB is relatively affordable for a storage device that allows you to access files quickly and is small enough to fit in a variety of areas inside your computer; highly recommended for all PC users!
- Corsair Vengeance LPX: it's always a fantastic idea to update the RAM inside your computer to increase speed. The Corsair Vengeance LPX can be bought online or at many electronic and technology stores in the UK; especially suggested for those who want to get more out of their video games and video-encoding processes. Check out Corsair's website to see the differences between 8GB and 32GB and how to install it into your PC.
- Intel Core i9: since Intel are masters at creating PC hardware, it is no surprise that they have developed a technology to increase the speed and manage the space of your computer. The Core i9 is not cheap, but it just might be the best option on the market. The chip has a wide variety of tasks such as improving the performance of virtual reality, streaming, and overall computer speed to make sure that no slow moments occur when accomplishing any task.
Technology experts highly recommend all of the previously mentioned options at Forbes magazine and other reputable sources. It is important to state that specific technologies such as a registry cleaner, CCleaner, and disk defragmenter are extremely useful as well.
What is computer troubleshooting?
Nevertheless, for those who do not want to spend money on active speed enhancers, there are a few simple tips and tricks that can be done to increase overall speed and prevent the slowing down of your PC such as the following:
- Delete Unnecessary Programs: when you first buy a PC, it is often filled with apps and software such as spyware, windows registry, and task manager that you don't ever use. By keeping all the additional programs, the disk space, the precious memory, and the processing power are slowed down. Therefore, to maximize space and overall speed, remove all the unneeded programs you won't use and only keep the necessary.
- Restart Regularly: a straightforward tip that is effective as it is easy. By regularly shutting down your computer, the memory is cleared, and all errant programs that were running behind the scenes get shut down. Also, the more things you have open and keep running, the higher the chances are that your PC will get overwhelmed, slow, and eventually run low on memory.
The previously mentioned tips are only a few important ones, many others help improve PC speed such as thorough disk cleanup, running fewer programs at the same time, maintenance of file systems such as defragmentation, and limiting how many programs run at startup.
Now, what about Mac? What are some techniques to help speed up any Macbook? The following subheading answers all questions.
Should I download an anti-virus to protect my computer?
Speeding Up Your Mac
While it is true that Macbooks are far less prevalent than PCs, many loyal Apple fans have sworn an oath never to use anything that isn't operated by iOS; were entirely joking but sometimes it seems that way with MacBook users!
Recent estimates have shown that Windows 10 is four times more popular than the Mac.
Furthermore, it is essential to state that since all technology is imperfect, even expensive Macbooks may tend to slow down after a few years of regular use.
I'm a MacBook Air user, and I frequently have to free up my disk space, defrag, and find other effective ways to keep a rapid computer speed. However, with that being said, I wouldn't trade my MacBook for anything!
Nevertheless, has your MacBook been overheating? Has there been a lot of browser crashes and frequent "beach balls" from all the loading? If so, it sounds like some adjustments need to be made to enhance your Mac's performance.
Therefore, without further delay, the following tips and tricks can be applied by any Mac user to ensure that their computer is working at full speed and capacity:
- Manage Startup Items: when your Mac launches faster, it will take less time to do anything. It is essential to state that when your Mac starts up, it runs plenty of unnecessary startup programs. Therefore, a good defragment may be necessary to take control of this situation and reduce the number of startup items go to system preferences > Users & Groups and then click on your username. By doing this, you can delete the programs that you don't want to startup from the beginning.
- Turn Off Visual Effects: it may be a little known fact to a lot of users that visual effects take up precious room and are responsible for slowing down your computer. How to get rid of them? 1) Click system preferences > Dock. 2) Untick the following boxes: Animate opening applications, Automatically hide and show the Dock. 3) Click on minimize windows and change Genie effect to Scale effect.
- Reduce Desktop Clutter: it's essential to recall that every desktop icon takes up RAM space, which means that fewer icons on your desktop, the faster your Mac will get. When you have expertly cleaned your desktop, restart your Mac.
- Don't Forget to Update Your MacBook: generally, MacBooks take care of themselves, which means that frequently updating your software speeds up your Mac. Make sure that you are using the most up-to-date version of the software. Also, it is essential to mention that updating your Mac's hardware is quite costly but very effective; consider the possibility.
- Delete Browser Add-Ons: since we are living in the digital age where technology continually updates itself and becomes better than before, the browsers we frequently use such as Google Chrome, Safari, and Firefox come with an overwhelming amount of add-ons and extensions. To increase speed, consider uninstalling the add-ons not being used at the moment.
By applying all of the tips and tricks in today's article, MacBook and PC users can reduce frustration and increase productivity by having a speedy computer!
How to build a computer? Click this link to find out!