The most important part of teaching is to get to know your student(s), their goals and objectives as well as their strengths and weaknesses. This is best achieved by diagnostic lessons as well as personal interview. Once we develop a mutual and achievable goal, the results will follow. I will work with students and adults from ages 12 and up.
I have worked all over the world both as a tutor and a classroom college and university instructor. I have also tutored online and have assisted a student in China to successfully pass the GRE and as a result get accepted in a prestigious American university.
I have a busy schedule so any cancellations in less than 24 hours will be charged for unless there is a medical emergency.
6/17-Present- Pima County Community College-Instructor Writing 1 and 2 (not ESL)
6/17-8/17- Pima County Community College- Instructor ESL (summer session only)
8/16-4/17- University of Arizona- Instructor ESL
9/05-11/15-Community College of Philadelphia Instructor, Writing (Adjunct)- Comp 1 and Developmental Writing
9/07-6/12-Camden County College (NJ) Associate Professor, English (Adjunct)- Comp 1 & 2 and Developmental sections
9/09-2/10-Fulbright Scholar, Russian Federation (on leave from CCP and CCCNJ)- English Professor at Pyatigorsk State Linguistics University.
9/06-6/07- Teacher Trainer and Faculty Consultant (on leave from CCP and CCCNJ).- Minsk State Linguistics University (Minsk, Belarus). English Language Fellow program (similar to Fulbright Scholar). Worked on a wide variety of faculty projects, including, but not limited to sessions on teaching writing, using film in the classroom, cultural stereotyping, phonetics, political speech characteristics, educational systems in the US. There were also a myriad of individual projects that I assisted with, including plagiarism issues, vocabulary projects, semantic projects, and others.
Taught several student sections on writing, semantics of stereotyping, and American film.
Outside the University, I did regular volunteer ‘English Nights’ for large Belarus branches of international corporations as well as private nonprofit organizations to improve the English skills of management, employees and clients in order to enhance their opportunities for professional advancement.
12/04-6/06-Adjunct Instructor, English for Academic Purposes, ESL Composition, Camden County College (NJ). Advanced level EAP courses, Freshman Writing(advanced ESL students), Argumentative Writing (Advanced ESL students).
9/01-7/06-Senior Adjunct Instructor, English and Developmental Writing, Burlington County College (NJ). Freshman Writing, Remedial Writing, Semantics/Linguistics
1/05-5/05-ESL for Adults, Hispanic Institute of Research and Development.
8/02-10/04-Teacher of English, Tel Aviv (Israel) high schools. Program underwritten and supervised by US/UK/Israel consortium under overall direction of University of Liverpool. Taught English (grammar, conversational, writing) to students of various academic skill levels in rotating groups, working in conjunction with individual English departments.
8/02-10/04- Developed professional clientele (lawyers, etc) desirous of improving English skills, both conversational and writing, for international contacts.
Scholarship Judge (volunteer position) Beneficial Savings Bank
Scholarship Judge (volunteer position) HIAS scholarship competition
Fulbright Application Evaluator: Evaluating Russian candidates for Fulbright grants in US. Annually since 2010 Moscow Fulbright Office.
• MA in Applied Linguistics, University of Liverpool [UK], June, 2005.
• BA + 60 credits [English, Education Minor] at Hunter College of CUNY.
• Summer Seminar, Applied Linguistics, California State University at Chico
• In Service course- Teaching Online (Community College of Philadelphia)
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
• Free lance writing and photography in popular periodicals such as 'Jazz Journal', as well as for weekly newspaper. Book review in 'Journal of Crime and Delinquency.'
• Minsk State Linguistic University, 16th International Conference, "Transatlantic Experience: Experimentation, Appropriation, Disruptions." Served as plenary speaker and presented paper on "Cultural Considerations in Second Language Acquisition."
• Pyatigorsk State Linguistics University, International Conference on “New Ideas in Linguistics in the 21st Century.” Presented paper on “Culture, Politics and Language: Inter- Relations, and tensions in English Language Discourse.”
• Contributor to Salem Press' Great Lives in History publications.
• Edited English translation of Belarusian poetry collection by national poet; Crosses, by Rybor Baradulin, 800 pages, published in Minsk, 2007.
• Edited translation of Russian novel at request of member of Belarus Senate.
• Presented a variety of film programs and served as primary speaker to major audience at US Embassy sponsored film festival.
• Presented program on American business practices at Belarus Academy of Public Administration.
• Delivered lecture and film program for the Foreign Language Department at the Belarus Academy of Post Diploma Education. This department specializes in in-service and retraining courses in order to help foreign language teachers to continually upgrade pedagogical quality. They also assist other faculties in their institution with foreign language training.
• Technical writing project- wrote international field office financial manual for Tel Aviv operation of New York based NGO.
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest literature lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking literacy lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$25||$25|
|5 hours||Not available||$100||$125|
|10 hours||Not available||$200||$250|