I would love to help you learn to perfect your English skills! In working with you. I will communicate with you in setting clear goals and listen to your concerns and questions. Then, we will customize a game plan that will help you achieve those goals, adapting as well go along. Everyone is different, so we'll assess your unique situation in creating lessons that work for your needs.
**Please note: Please contact me before signing up for a time on the schedule, since some of those times may be reserved for other students. Write me and let me know who you are and what you need. Thanks!
My teaching approach includes working with international students, background in foreign languages, and commitment to student success. I appreciate the challenges people face in dealing with language and cultural barriers, and misunderstandings that can occur when English speakers do not understand these barriers.
I passionately encourage learners in adapting to their new surroundings and advocate for educating the public on language and cultural barriers, inside and outside of the classroom. My previous teaching experience, which included ESL (English as a Second Language) students and students from all over the world, gives me appropriate experience to teach successfully online, interact effectively with diverse individuals, and coach students in English from all over the world.
Student-centeredness, critical inquiry and curiosity, and research-based teaching approaches influence my teaching style. Plus, ten years assisting students at a university writing center, has given me the opportunity to expand my interactions with the general student population, and ESL populations and work with them one-on-one on writing. I believe this skill can easily transfer into this role.
Also, I have a strong ethical responsibility towards my students to ensure you acquire high quality education and effective writing and speaking skills. I am committed to helping you succeed in learning effective English reading, writing, and speaking skills. I enjoy working with diverse students, engaging you to think critically, and treating you like you matter. Additionally, my skills sets include three years teaching online and extensive online training to teach in an online environment.
Overall, I desire to see you succeed by assessing your strengths and weaknesses and individualizing and adjusting our interactions accordingly. As an instructor, consistently positive teaching evaluations demonstrate excellence in teaching, and positive comments on evaluations show good rapport with students.
I'm a university professor with over 16 years' experience teaching English, and I've tutored ESL students for five years. I've taught tens of thousands of students from all over the world, and my compassionate approach empowers students to learn English.
For looking over written work, I charge an extra $5 per page for which I need to give feedback. This doesn't include prepping for basic lessons.
Master of Fine Arts, Sewanee School of Letters, University of the South, 2011.
Major: Creative Writing
Supporting Area of Emphasis and Thesis: Poetry
Master of Arts, Georgia Southern University, 2002.
Major: English Literature
Bachelor of Arts, Georgia Southern University, 1999.
Major: English Literature
• Online Instructor (faculty), Southern New Hampshire University, Remote, October 2014 - Present
• Instructor and Course Creator, Udemy, Remote, January 2015 - Present
• ESL Tutor, VerbalPlanet, Remote, January 2015 - Present
• Team Lead (faculty lead), Southern New Hampshire University, Remote, April 2015 - July 2017
• Instructor/Assistant Professor, Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, Ga., August 2002 - July 2014
• Graduate Assistant, Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, Ga., January 2000 - May 2001
• Reference Assistant, Library Assistant, and Shelver, Statesboro, Ga., August 1997-February 2001
• SNHU 107, Success Strategies for Online Learning
• Eng. 226, Introduction to Creative Writing
• Eng. 122, Online Composition I
• ENG 123, Online Composition II
• ENGL 1101 Composition I, 2002-2014
• ENGL 1102 Composition II, 2002-2014
• ENGL 1101 (online), 2012-2014
• English 1101 and 1101 Hybrid, 2010-2012
• ENGL 1101 Composition I Eagle Incentive Program, 2003-2013
• ENGL 1101 Composition I First Year Interest Groups, Medicine and Ethics, 2005
• RGTE 0199 Regent’s Exam Preparation, 2003-2006
• WRIT 2133 Writing Science Fiction, 2006
• FYE 1220 First Year Experience: Social Issues in Film, 2013-2014
• Cambridge Who's Who Among Executive and Professional Women in Teaching and Education, Teaching (2008)
• Spanish Honor Society, members have exceptional academic standing in Spanish, Sigma Delta Pi (1998)
• English Honor Society, members have exceptional academic standing in English, Sigma Tau Delta (1997)
As an instructor, I have taken the opportunity to work with and mentor native and international students. My repertoire includes a wide range of classes--Composition 1101 and 1102, online composition, Hybrid 1102 classes, Eagle Incentive Program for transitional students, and Regents Essay remedial classes, among others. This class range demonstrates initiative in learning new skills, and ability working with diverse student populations from all over the world.
In composition, I learned various language barriers that students face, and I have worked with such students in remedial settings when I taught the Regents Essay class. A large portion of such students was internationals from Asia, Latin and South American, the Middle East, Africa, and Mexico. Through this experience, I saw the diverse language and personal challenges these students faced, and I facilitated custom learning plans to help these students succeed and pass the Regents Essay Test. In composition, I have also worked with student writers from all over the world, helping them to overcome language barriers and target specific issues common to particular languages.
Rachel has been tutoring me since 2015. She is very open about the structure of the lecture, always switching up the content focusing on different abilities. She helped me with fluency, writing skills and vocabulary. Her lessons are dynamic and very funny. I totally recommend her!
I have known Rachel personally for more than a decade. While I have only taken one of her classes, I can speak for what I know of her. One great thing about her is that she does what others try to do...she listens. She will go out of her way to listen and this is to her credit. When she offers advice, she offers words that are best for you based upon your goals - not what she has in mind for you. When it is a judgement call, she basis her decision on your needs or wants based on you - not something she wants. This is a major plus. I hope she continues this path for it will take her much farther than she has ever traveled.
ESL lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest vocabulary - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, listening comprehension - english lessons for all!
Taking writing expression - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$30|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||$150|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||$300|