I believe in personalized educational support tailored to a student's particular needs. I enjoy working collaboratively with students to meet their goals--taking advantage of their academic strengths and improving their areas of growth. My classroom teaching experience allows me to use proven teaching techniques beyond typical tutoring. Teacher preparation programs focus on using teaching techniques to meet students at their current level of understanding and steadily increasing their knowledge from there.
Hello! My name is Sam Smith. I grew in Glendale, California, and attended Glendale public schools from kindergarten to twelfth grade. I have been particularly passionate about history and politics in my academic career. I had very strong reading and writing skills as a student, which is a talent I brought to my work as a tutor in high school.
I have a Bachelor's degree in political science, which I received with honors in 2010. Although I focused primarily on political science, I also took advanced courses in mathematics including calculus, statistics, and econometrics. I obtained a single subject teaching credential from Cal State Northridge in 2017. I have over two years of in-classroom teaching experience. I am capable of teaching most common primary and secondary classes including but not limited to: English, History, Mathematics, Government, and Economics.
STUDENT TEACHER | JOHN BURROUGHS HIGH SCHOOL
JAN 2017 - MAY 2017 | BURBANK, CA
• Taught three class periods of tenth grade world history from the beginning of the spring semester
• Designed lessons that featured inquiry-based learning through student collaboration
• Conducted a variety of written and oral assessments to provide feedback to students and inform future
• Provided differentiated instruction and accommodations for English learners and students with
individualized education plans
STUDENT TEACHER | PATRICK HENRY MIDDLE SCHOOL
AUG 2016 – DEC 2016 | GRANADA HILLS, CA
• Taught one class period of eighth grade U.S. history starting from the fifth week of fall semester
• Developed and implemented strategies for effective classroom management
• Prepared lesson plans that focused on improving student reading and writing through analysis of
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER | EXPRESS EMPLOYMENT
NOV 2015 – MAR 2016 | WEST HILLS, CA
• Worked as substitute teacher at charter schools across Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley
• Managed classrooms from kindergarten to twelfth grade during the absence of their teachers
• Encouraged and assisted students to complete assignments the teacher instructed students to work on
in their absence
PROGRAM ASSISTANT | PASADENA CITY COLLEGE
APR 2015 – MAR 2016 | PASADENA, CA
• Worked as a program assistant for the Career Pathways program, which serves first-year college
students interested in careers in STEM
• Recruited of hundreds of incoming PCC students into the program by giving presentations at Pasadena
area high schools
• Supervised a tutoring and computer lab for students
STATE OF CALIFORNIA
Single Subject Teaching Credential in Social Science
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN
Claremont, CA | May 2010
SINGLE SUBJECT TEACHING CREDENTIAL
California State University, Northridge
Northridge, CA | June 2017
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking statistics lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$25||$25|