My teaching methodology is based on application of theory drawn from musical examples, and actively participating with the student. Whether it is jazz theory of improvisation, arranging and composition, pop and commercial performance, or saxophone performance at any level, all my teaching is illustrated by myself and other historical and contemporary examples and then directly applied by doing the exercises, styles, and activities with students, giving real-time feedback.
I am a saxophonist and composer/arranger trained in jazz, South African music, worship, and contemporary pop styles with a BM from the University of North Texas, Summa Cum Laude. I have been teaching lessons in performance, improvisation, theory and arranging since 2015.
I have won awards in the USA and South Africa for both performance and composition and students I have taught have successfully been admitted into university programs and been selected for national acclaim.
Discounts may be made for group lessons and masterclasses.
Cancellation policy: lessons must be cancelled at least 48 hours in advance to not be charged for them.
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS, DENTON, TX
Bachelor of Music (BM) Jazz (Performance Concentration), Summa Cum Laude, May 2020.
Master of Music (MM) Jazz Arranging and Composition in progress, with expected graduation of Spring 2022.
• Relevant courses: Advanced Jazz Improvisation, Advanced Jazz Arranging, Jazz Chamber Music, Lab Band (Jazz Big Bands), Latin Jazz Lab Band, Music Cultures of the World, Songwriting, Jazz History.
• Awards and Honors: UNT President’s List (2016-2020), UNT Academic Excellence Merit Scholarship (2016-2020), UNT Innovative Music Programming Award (2017), Standard Bank National Schools’ Big Band (Lead Alto Saxophone, 2014 and 2015), Published in a Journal with NSHSS (2016), Undergraduate Achievement Award from Pi Kappa Lambda Honor Society (2020).
STANDARD BANK NATIONAL SCHOOLS’ BIG BAND, GRAHAMSTOWN EASTERN CAPE
1st Alto Saxophone in 2014 and 2015
• Sight-reading and improvisation at competitive level to be selected over entirety of other students in South Africa.
• Responsibility to ensure saxophone section knows parts and roles in band as a whole
• Organize and lead sectionals.
RODRICK CONNOLLY BIG BAND, CAPE TOWN, WESTERN CAPE
1st and 2nd Alto Saxophone, Jun 2015 – Jul 2016
• Sight-reading and improvisation at a high level in a variety of styles.
• Ensemble playing in a variety of styles.
FREELANCE MUSICIAN, DFW, TX
Performer/Composer/Arranger/Teacher. Sep 2016 – Present.
• High level of jazz, pop, funk, and folk improvisation required.
• Compose new music and uniquely arrange existing music for ensembles of varying kinds.
• Regularly practice and maintain instrumental skills on saxophones, clarinet, flute, and violin.
• Sight-reading and ensemble playing in a variety of styles and genres at a high level.
• Convey concepts and ideas effectively to students.
• Lead and organize rehearsals, gigs, recording sessions, and manage bookings.
INTERN, OUTSIDE IN MUSIC RECORDS
January 2020 - Present
• Social media management and analysis for the business and clientele
• Journalism, interviewing, and writing press releases and blurbs for artists on the label
• Knowledge of music business industry and related professionalism in communication required and applied
Extracurricular Activities: Pro Series Indoor Hockey South Africa, Music Committee Member in Cover-band Fundrasier in South Africa, Volunteer with International Mission Board’s (“IMB”) MK Re-Entry, Volunteer in Refugee Missions in South Africa with IMB, Member of National Society of High School Scholars. Good standing member of Pi Kappa Lambda Honor Society, Alpha Alpha Chapter.
I am a South African jazz vocalist and educator who has had the pleasure of working with Simeon whilst completing my Masters at the University of North Texas. We had the opportunity to work together in an ensemble setting, performing his arrangements of an incredible scope of music from South African jazz to Joshua Redman pieces to re-imaginings of childhood Disney and Pixar classics.
Simeon’s passion for music is a rarity. His imagination is boundless, constantly seeking to bring music he loves to listeners in fresh and innovative ways. As a composer, arranger, lyricist, band leader and performer, he gives every last bit of himself to the music and to those around him. A warm, compassionate, positive and energetic person and musician, he is a joy and inspiration to be around. Adding to that, his professionalism, service to the music and attentiveness to detail are exceptional. He is trustworthy, forward thinking and easy to work with.
I recommend Simeon unreservedly. I fully believe that people around him will be enriched by Simeon’s inspiring talent, approach, spirit and connection. His passion for music is truly infectious. It Is also Simeon’s passion to share the amazing culture and music of South Africa and I have no doubt that he would bring an infusion of brilliant cultural color to this opportunity whilst being a brilliant conduit of musical influences from around the globe.
Simeon is a very passionate music teacher and bandleader. He is articulate when it comes to putting his vision together. His patient, professional attitude makes learning or playing music extremely fulfilling. His ability to explain things very thoroughly and yet also give one enough space to think freely on their own creates a very healthy and engaging learning environment. This is especially true when creating new music through composing or improvising!
music reading lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest flute lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, saxophone lessons for all!
Taking wind instruments lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$40||Not available||$40|
|5 hours||$175||Not available||$200|
|10 hours||$350||Not available||$400|