I base my teaching method on the level of expertise (spoken and written) of the student or students in the class and their learning objectives. My focus would be on teaching students how to write clearly and expressively in the English language.
I studied Journalism and English in college and received a B. A. degree in each field. I went on to work as a technical writer for over 30 years. I am moving into the field of tutoring to give myself more flexibility in my work schedule and more variety as a writer.
Cancellation notification of 48 hours in advance of the scheduled class.
Joseph B. (Bernie) Blazek
Technical Writer, Procedures Analyst, Editor, and Grant Writer in
multiple industries and multiple types of work environments.
* Industry experience includes utilities, nonprofit, manufacturing,
government, financial, engineering, information technology, service,
and media sectors.
* Formal training and volunteer work in the nonprofit sector.
* Adept at communicating and working with Subject Matter Experts
(SMEs) and developers to publish online and print documentation.
* Able to work as a team player and work independently.
* Skilled in planning and managing projects, including scheduling,
project tracking, document management, and change management.
Authoring/general tools: Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, Project, Outlook); RoboHelp; Doc-to-Help; XMetal.
Desktop Publishing: FrameMaker; other Adobe applications; Visio;
Other Software Applications: Internet software; AccuRev; Visual
SourceSafe; SourceForge; HTML; online meeting software
(LiveMeeting, etc.); SharePoint; Web publishing tools (WordPress)
Technical Editor, free-lance contractor (9/2016- present), Aloha, OR
I provide editorial support for organizations needing pre-publication
editing. This includes level-three editing for journal articles. Tools used:
XMetal and Microsoft Word.
Technical Writer, independent contractor (4/2016- 9/2016), Newberg, OR
Provided documentation support for dental equipment service guide
including content development, technical reviews and approval, and
publication. Tools used: InDesign, Adobe FrameMaker, and Acrobat
Technical Writer, Kronos contractor (6/2013- 10/2015), Tigard, OR
Provided documentation support for product software release notes
including content development, technical reviews and approval, and
publication in a 30-day release cycle. Tools used: JIRA, SharePoint,
AccuRev (version control), Adobe FrameMaker, and Acrobat Pro.
Technical Writer, Intel contractor, 10/2012- 12/2012, Hillsboro, OR
Worked on a team of contractors to publish D1X design and operations
documentation. This work involved working with team engineers to
gather site-specific information, working with equipment drawings, and
using Intel’s content management system to process documents.
Technical Writer, PGE contractor (7/2011- 12/2011), Portland, OR
Provided documentation support for network segmentation development
group in IT Department. Coordinated project meetings and recorded and
published minutes. Tools used on the job: SharePoint, Excel, scheduling
software, PowerPoint, Adobe PageMaker, and Visio.
Technical Writer, VTech Communications contractor (10/2010-1/ 2011),
* Assigned to updating end user documentation for VTech products.
This job required use of FrameMaker and Adobe Acrobat
Professional for internal reviews.
Technical Writer, USDA Forest Service contractor (9/2005-2/2009), Sandy,
* Heavily involved in designing Web and HTML help systems for end
users of Natural Resource Information System (NRIS) software.
* Worked one-on-one with developers to create and install online help.
* Participated in formal beta and integration testing with teams from
* Worked on six major projects, providing editorial support, testing
support, training other writers, or assisting SMEs in using software.
* Used various teleconferencing and online conferencing tools.
Technical Writer / Senior Documentation Specialist, Wells Fargo Bank
contractor (12/2003-9/2005), Beaverton, OR
* Analyzed, wrote, and published banking procedures that met strict
compliance and usability requirements for the Wells Fargo Servicing
Center in Beaverton, Oregon, with the Loss Mitigation Department.
Technical Writer/Editor, Columbia Ultimate contractor (8/2003-10/2003),
* Documented collection agency software developed by Columbia
Ultimate. Worked with project managers and SMEs.
Technical Writer/Editor, Weyerhaeuser Corporation contractor (3/2003-
6/2003), Portland, OR
* Published data for server/network assets for corporate turnover.
Developed search methods and published the documentation.
Technical Writer, Tektronix Corporation contractor (4/2001-8/2002),
* Planned and delivered product documentation in a team environment
using a phased development lifecycle.
* Produced project plans for the deliverables. Reported status and
worked with team and project managers.
Technical Writer, Freightliner Corporation contractor (8/1999-4/2001),
* Developed user training documentation for this truck manufacturer.
* Member of a software development team. Produced user guides and
self-paced training guides, and Web presentations. Used Visio.
Technical Writer, Willamette Industries contractor (2/1999-8/1999),
* Worked with developers and managers to produce user publications
for financial software. Developed formal documentation standards.
Technical Writer, Intel Corporation contractor (6/1997-6/1998), Hillsboro,
* Published printed and Web-based training material for their data
warehousing software development group.
Technical Writer, Bonneville Power Administration (BPA), Unisys
* Developed, wrote, and delivered online help for personal property
management system used by BPA. Mentored team members.
* Job required both autonomy to work alone and the ability to work
with the entire team to meet the overall goals.
* Was involved in evaluating new publishing tools for the team.
Documentation Specialist, Bonneville Power Administration, ADC
Wrote and published end-user documentation used by BPA. Mentored team
members in help system development at BPA.
* At USDA Forest Service (2005-2009), contributed on six major
projects for software development. Served in multiple capacities as a
writer, editor, tester, and trainer/mentor.
* For Freightliner (1999-2001) contributed as a member of a software
development team to produce training material for a national rollout.
B.A in Journalism and B.A in English, University of Houston
vocabulary - english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest writing comprehension - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, listening comprehension - english lessons for all!
Taking writing expression - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$23||Not available|