My motto as an educator is, “If they’re not learning, you’re not teaching.” This idea is at the core of my teaching philosophy. I am most interested in the teaching and learning process and how the traditional limits of these pursuits can be challenged. I create opportunities to apply learning in practical and creative ways which are attuned to the particular strengths and passions of the students. I also strive to create lessons that are motivating and that develop high levels of skills, distinguishing between busywork and meaningful work. Students in my classroom truly see that learning is fun and that hard work pays off. I sincerely love teaching English to international students.
I have taught English as a Second Language since 2001 in various settings: to middle school, high school, community college, and university students in Texas, and to various types of students at a conversation school in Japan. I currently teach private ESL lessons to scientists working at research centers and universities in Houston, Texas. My B.A. in International Studies and German and my M.A. in Bicultural-Bilingual Studies with a concentration in ESL have given me a strong foundation in the field of international education.
The cost of travel is $10 per 5km of travel. Students who do not cancel 24 hours in advance will be charged for one hour at the regular fee.
PROFESSIONAL PROFILE: Seasoned ESL Educator dedicated to creating an engaging, inviting, and dynamic learning atmosphere. Implements traditional and innovative methods to motivate students to learn the English language and understand American culture. Utilizes excellent oral and written communication skills with thorough attention to detail to create original and compelling curricular materials.
• 17 years of experience as a dynamic, thorough, and effective ESL instructor.
• Advanced proficiency of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, Outlook, OneDrive, and OneNote), Wix, Weebly, Canva, Audacity, Google Drive (Docs, Sheets, and Slides).
• Certified ESL, German and Health Teacher for grades 6-12 through the Texas Education Agency.
• Long-term overseas living and working experience in Germany and Japan.
• Extensive experience writing content for ESL textbooks, curricula, and own podcast.
ESL INSTRUCTOR 08/2011 to CURRENT
Self-Employed | Houston, TX
• Perform an in-depth intake assessment to develop a personalized learning plan and language goals for each student.
• Design an individualized curriculum for each student that integrates technology, real-life English, and workplace demands.
• Teach dynamic and effective lessons to improve reading, writing, grammar, listening, speaking, pronunciation, and TOEFL test-taking abilities in English.
• Private lessons taught through contract with Baylor College of Medicine from 2017 to present.
• Contract teacher with Bilingual Education Institute (BEI).
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, ESOL 08/2007 to 07/2011
Lone Star College | Cypress, Texas
• Designed curriculum, taught lessons, and evaluated progress in ESOL courses: Grammar and Writing, Reading and Vocabulary Development, Pronunciation, and Listening and Speaking.
• Served on the CEA Accreditation committee as a researcher and writer.
• Developed department curriculum as the campus representative for the Lone Star College System Curriculum Team.
• Consistently received positive teacher evaluations from students.
ESL TEACHER 08/2006 to 06/2007
Raul Yzaguirre Accelerated School for Success, Charter School | Houston, Texas
• Designed and implemented communicative lessons based on the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills and secondary language acquisition best practices for 6th - 8th graders.
• Presented workshops for content-area teachers to better serve their ESL students.
ENGLISH INSTRUCTOR 05/2005 to 07/2006
AEON Corporation Okazaki | Aichi, Japan
• Taught student-centered and lively lessons to English learners of all proficiency levels: Business English, Grammar-Based English, Topic-Based English, Tax English, and Test Prep (TOEIC, TOEFL, STEP).
• Interviewed, assessed, and placed prospective students.
ESL TEACHER 08/2003 to 05/2005
Earl Warren High School / Northside Independent School District | San Antonio, Texas
• Designed effective curricula and taught: English I SOL, English II SOL, Basic ESL, Technical Writing, and Health SOL.
• Led various workshops for content and ESL teachers, focusing on technology and modifications for ESL students.
• Mentored in the Voices of Hope program for at-risk young women.
• Served as the Webmaster for the English Department webpage.
• Provided support for students in their content area classes by implementing an ESL Content Mastery Center.
ESL INSTRUCTOR 08/2001 to 05/2003
University of Texas San Antonio | San Antonio, Texas
• Taught dynamic ESL courses to a diverse group of students: Intensive English Program (ESL), English for International Students (EIS), Workforce ESL, Workforce Pre-GED
• Provided communicative and content-based instruction to English language learners in accordance with current methodology and best teaching practices.
• Performed a needs assessment and designed curricula for housekeeping and maintenance staff of the University.
ESL GRADUATE ASSISTANT 01/2001 to 05/2003
University of Texas at San Antonio | San Antonio, Texas
• Organized English Language Placement test for all incoming international students.
• Designed curriculum for pilot content- area reading and writing courses.
• Created and launched the Bicultural-Bilingual Division web page.
• Aided in ongoing research projects with professors.
• Developed ESL teacher training materials.
Master of Arts | Bicultural-Bilingual Studies, ESL 2003
The University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
• Graduated with 4.0 GPA
Bachelor of Arts | International Studies and German 1998
Trinity University, San Antonio, TX
• Studied abroad from Aug. 1996 - July 1997 at Albert-Ludwigs University in Freiburg, Germany
• Minor: Economics
My English pronounciation and writing are significantly improved since Caren has been my private English teacher. Caren has a wide experience teaching English to many international students from different countries and background, and she developed a very active and effective teaching style. She prepares her each lesson well before meeting me, and I really enjoy to have her as my teacher. I’ll definitely recommend her as an English teacher to any international student who wants to learn English and I guarantee that he/she will absolutely benefit a lot from her lessons.
Caren was my ESL teacher. She is nice, considerate, and erudite. She helped make personalized English learning plan for me. My spoken English improved dramatically under Caren's help.
ESL lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest business english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, accent reduction - english lessons for all!
Taking TOEFL lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|