I usually start with a math or science problem found in the student's class materials. Rather than giving him the answer, or immediately talking about the underlying principles, I ask the student what he thinks of the problem. That way, I find out his level of understanding, and work from there. If he struggles with it, I usually ask more basic questions, which often lead him to a solution. Exercising his thought process like this, I believe, reinforces his comprehension and memory for that type of problem. As needed, I explain the principles and methods of finding solutions for that particular topic.
I'm an experienced design engineer with over 20 years experience in industry, since earning my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. Starting in 2017, I have taught about 20 different students in a school setting. This year (2018) I have tutored two students at their homes. One has just begun, but the other just finished his Spring semester. His parents credit me for his improved scores in science.
• Bachelor of Science Degree, Mechanical Engineering, University of Arizona. GPA = 3.4
• SolidWorks Advanced CAD Training
• SolidWorks Essentials CAD Training
• COSMOS Professional Finite Element Analysis Software Training
• Pro/ENGINEER Surface Modeling, Sheet Metal, Piping, and Parametric Design Manager (PDM)
• Pro/ENGINEER Advanced Part Design and Advanced Assembly Design
• Dale Carnegie Course in Effective Speaking
2017 Mathematics and Science Instructor, Scottsdale and Chandler, Arizona BrightmontAcademy.com
Fully accredited private school serving students with a one-to-one instruction.
• Subjects include Geometry, Algebra, Chemistry, Physical Science, History, Biology, and Earth Science.
2015 – present Self-employed Equities Trader, Chandler, Arizona.
Long-term investing and short-term equities trading from home office.
• Specializing in short positions on leveraged and inverse exchange traded commodity funds.
2013 – 2014 Independent Mechanical Designer, TAMA Research Corp, Phoenix. TAMAResearch.com
Manufacturer of multi-mode microcurrent appliances for sale to health professionals.
• Used SolidWorks 3D CAD for solid modeling, drawing, and documentation of parts, assemblies, and new products in development.
2012 – 2013 Design Engineer, Interconnect Devices, Inc., Mesa, Arizona. IDInet.com
Manufacturer of spring contact probe sockets and custom connectors. ISO 9000 environment.
• Used SolidWorks 2010 and ProE Creo 2.0 Parametric software to design various precision socket parts and assemblies for wafer level chip-scale package (WLCSP) test.
• Created 3D models, drawings, and bills of material (BOMs) to drive Product Development Life Cycle from initial concept through final approval and production. Occasional projects with ITAR restrictions.
• Frequently created PCBA mechanical interface definition for printed circuit board layouts.
• Used Windchill PDM software for new designs and change orders (ECNs).
• Designed a socket with over 1,200 stamped spring pins, saving over $600 per socket compared to sockets having conventional spring pins.
2005 – 2012 Mechanical Design Engineer, SV Probe, Inc., Tempe, Arizona. SVProbe.com
Manufacturer of probe card products for semiconductor wafer testing.
• Designed a wide variety of precision vertical probe card assemblies to meet customer specifications.
• Created SolidWorks 3D models, drawings, and detailed bills of material from concept to final approval.
• Invented a CAD method for arranging and outputting coordinate positions of thousands of metal probes in a pattern matching the microscopic bond pads on a silicon wafer.
• Became a key member of R&D Team for product development. There I invented, designed, detailed, and prototyped a multipurpose, spring-loaded latching device to handle extremely fragile and expensive fine-pitch probe assemblies. These assemblies had previously been handled manually.
• Modeled and detailed MEMS (Micro Electro Mechanical Systems) etched probes for very fine pitch devices.
• Created schedules, tracked milestones, and determined timeline critical path using Microsoft Project.
1999 – 2004 Senior Mechanical Engineer, Rockford Corporation, Tempe, Arizona. RockfordCorp.com
Consumer Electronics manufacturer of mobile, professional, and home theater audio systems.
• Created high-volume consumer product designs including UL-compliant amplifier housings, custom connectors, extruded and cast aluminum heat sinks, and high-current fused distribution blocks. Designed plastic parts for injection-molding, sheet metal, and machined parts using SolidWorks and Pro/Engineer. Heavily focused on cosmetic part design.
• Served as the Mechanical Engineering Lead for the design and development of Rockford’s OEM products for Nissan USA, using SolidWorks and Pro/Engineer.
• Wrote technical reports describing test results, design issues, and proposed solutions.
1996 – 98 Design Engineer, Amkor Technology, Inc., Chandler, Arizona. Amkor.com
Semiconductor package design and assembly services.
• Created automated CAD templates for various semiconductor leadframes and packages.
• Built and tested thermal models of semiconductor packages using Pro/Mechanica FEA software.
1994 – 95 Mechanical Engineer, Case Corp. thru Peak Technical Services, East Moline, IL. CaseIH.com
Manufacturer of crop-harvesting combines and cotton pickers.
• Contract position. Created solid models and detailed various parts and assemblies for transmissions, hydraulic systems, and gear housings using Pro/Engineer.
• Specialized in hydraulic design and modeling using the piping module of Pro/Engineer.
1991 – 94 Mechanical Engineer, TOMAR Electronics Inc., Gilbert, Arizona. Tomar.com
Manufacturer of strobe lights, optical, and safety products for automotive and industrial use.
• Designed a variety of injection-molded thermoplastic parts, sheet metal, and machined parts. Reported directly to company president. Responsible for concept, structural design, analysis, material selection, industrial design, electronic packaging, modeling, drawings, technical writing, prototype builds, sustaining, and inspection. Began using Pro/ENGINEER in June 1993.
• Designed many types of parabolic reflectors, hermetically sealed to plastic lenses by vibration welding.
• Created a system of interlocking, interchangeable optic signal lights for factory equipment.
• Designed and detailed all structural parts for the TOMAR 930 Series Heliobe, a new waterproof lightbar now used on police cars, fire trucks, and other emergency vehicles worldwide.
Experience and Expertise:
• SolidWorks solid modeling 3D CAD software: over 15,000 hours experience on office and home PC.
Modules used include Surfacing, Sheet Metal, Configurations, Table-Driven Patterns, COSMOSWorks FEA, SolidWorks Explorer, PDMWorks, eDrawings, and DraftSight (2D AutoCAD emulator).
• Pro/ENGINEER and Creo solid modeling CAD software: over 10,000 hours experience. Modules include Surfacing, Sheet Metal, Pro/Program, Pro/Mechanica, and Windchill.
• Design for Manufacturing, mechanical product development, part-count reduction, structural analysis, thermal analysis, heat sinks, metal castings, custom aluminum extrusions, sheet metal forming, injection-molded plastic parts, snap-fit assemblies, packaging of electrical components, machine design, mechanisms, various forms of prototyping, and Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (ASME Y14.5).
• MS Office Programs: PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook, and Project. Virtual Private Networking (VPN).
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking arithmetic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$22||$19|
|5 hours||Not available||$19||$95|
|10 hours||Not available||$18||$190|