A fun, outgoing educator focused on relevance. When students recognise that the lessons are relevant, they become motivated to learn and to apply their knowledge. I am a proponent of personalized learning and student-centered curriculums. What does that mean? It means that I care about your interests and passions. If you are passionate about Fortnite, you will write and present about it. If you are a YouTuber, I will encourage you to use newly learned words, expressions and concepts in your videos. A great educator will not force you to walk away from your passions to study for the TOEFL, SAT or any other test. If this approach speaks to you, shoot me a message.
My family moved to California when I was eight years old and my English was non-existent. The move was from Moscow because of anti-Semitic gestures towards my family. I was placed into a specialized classroom for non-natives of English. My native language was Russian so I could not even communicate with my predominantly Spanish speaking classmates in the ESL classroom. My early English was a mix of Spanish and English because I had to talk to the teacher and my friends in class. I was a Russian kid forgetting Russian and replacing it with Spanish and English. It was not an easy academic year but by the end of it I was fluent in English and was able to attend regular classes with natives of English.
This experience has greatly affected my teaching style – I always approach students that use English as a second language with extra care and attention, I make adjustments in my lesson plans to fit the needs of my ESL students because I faced similar challenges. The school that I worked at for the past three years had a fifty-fifty ratio of natives and non-natives of English. Most of my classes had at least three kids with an Elementary knowledge of the language. I provided these students with extra attention and made sure to hand out scaffolds and personalized assignments to ensure that the students are challenged yet supported.
If you want to get a feel of my voice and personality, check out a YouTube video I made a while back for my ESL students on American slang. (bottom of page)
Freelance Teacher/Tutor of English | Orange County, CA | April 2013 – Present
• Provide persuasive writing, advanced grammar and general English lessons on a private basis
• Assist students in their preparation for the IELTS, TOEFL, GMAT (verbal), SAT (verbal), GRE (essay part) exams
• Organize online English (ESL) lessons via Skype
• Facilitate the process of writing personal statements and scholarship essays
• Proofread and edit short stories by students pursuing a career in writing
StudyLab Education | Teacher of English | Moscow, RU | May 2015 – June 2018
• Hosted seminars on critical thinking, logical fallacies, creative and persuasive writing
• Provided creative writing seminars for students aspiring to relocate to the USA for future studies
• Prepared students for the IELTS, TOEFL and SAT (Verbal) examinations
• Organized and taught a filmmaking course for teenagers as part of the StudyLab boarding school
• Mentored students in habits of success and the college application process
• Attended curriculum design workshops
• Collaborated with a team of English and History teachers to design student centered curriculums
• Organized school plays and performances with the Drama department
Jump School/Blab Club | Teacher of English | Moscow, RU | April 2013 – August 2013
• Taught advanced English grammar to students from different age groups
• Facilitated various discussions and engaging language games
• Offered one-on-one tutoring to students with various levels of English proficiency
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) | B.A. in English | 3.6 GPA | Received June 2014
• Extensive coursework includes the study of literatures and cultures where English is the primary language, history and structure of the English language, Literary Criticism, Sociology, Psychology, Philosophy, Russian Studies, Jewish Studies, Public Speaking, Debating, Creative and Persuasive Writing
Orange Coast College | IGETC Transfer Program – English Major | 4.0 GPA | Completed June 2012
• Two-year transfer program to a higher institution, coursework in general education, Persuasive Writing, Critical Writing, Debating, English Literature and Film Studies
• Fluent Russian
• Elementary Portuguese (Brazilian)
• Literature, History, Digital Media, Film Production, Surfing, Soccer, Health Education
ESL lessons closeby? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, vocabulary - english lessons for all!
Taking writing expression - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$30||$30|
|5 hours||Not available||$25||$150|
|10 hours||Not available||$20||$300|