I decided to become an ESL adjunct because I wanted to help professionals coming from other countries---particularly in the fields of STEM--to speak and write clearly.
I have taught in Vietnam, South Africa, South Korea, to name a few countries.
My students have become lawyers, engineers, etc.
I get results if you are willing to put in the time and do the assignments
I speak English, Spanish, and French but English is the language of choice
Students learn through reading and answering questions about what they have read
I give a lot of explanations as people whose native language is not English need examples
I have been teaching for 25 years--all levels and grades
I have taught thousands here and overseas
As I said, many of my students have gone on to promotions and greater careers
In my years as a corporate writer, photojournalist, and ESL teacher, my most rewarding moments have been spent in reaching out to multicultural students yearning to express themselves through the written and spoken word. For me, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing a smile on the face of a student who has overcome a struggle to put thoughts on paper in English. I have done this for decades worldwide as well as assessing student ESL levels.
My mission is to mold and shape students’ ideas and opinions and to enable them to find meaningful employment through clear, concise English. I have three Masters in Journalism, ESL, and Elementary education.
I thank you for your consideration and hope that you will allow me to work with your students and share my passion for and commitment to education and career enrichment.
Conduct Writing/Presentation training workshops at college and corporate level
Adjunct Professor of TESOL/ESL/EFL teaching—all levels –US and South Korea, Hong Kong, Vietnam
Train the trainer courses—all levels
Assessment of students
Freelance Teacher/Tutor ESL Since 2014
Elementary Teacher (3rd grade) Catholic School, Union City, NJ Spring Semester, 2013
Content areas: Math, Social Studies, Science, Language Arts, Phonics, ESL, Spelling+ Special Ed/Assessments
Program Coordinator—St. John’s University’s TESOL Training Program-January/February 2013 (Successfully completed assignment)
Provided training in TESOL to a group of High School teachers from Brazil.
TESOL/ESL Instructor-Blue Data Language School-New York (largely Asian students) 2008 to 2012 semesters
English/ business conversation and writing techniques –all levels
Freelance Teacher-ESL/ Special Ed (K-12) New Jersey Boards of Education (Heavily Korean, Chinese, Japanese)
Literacy, ESL, History, Special Ed, Spanish, Phonics, Reading/Writing Workshops Ongoing
Freelance Corporate/Academic/TESOL/ESL Communications Consultant Ongoing
Edgewater Community Center, New Jersey- Adult TESOL/ESL Lecturer Spring, Semester 2010
ESL training for emerging entrepreneurs
Adjunct Professor-Bloomfield College Fall 2009 Semester
Essay/portfolio/ESL writing and critical thinking—diverse urban population
Adjunct Professor—New Jersey City University Summer 2009 Semester
Essay/thesis writing for college
TESOL/ESL Teacher-Asian Language School–New York Fall 2008-Spring 2009 Semesters
Conducted training sessions in the nuances of American business/marketing using ESL techniques
Trainer-American Education/ Travel Services -Hoboken, NJ Summer Program 2008
Conducted daily workshops in Conversational and Academic English for students from Spain, France, and Italy, South America, China, Japan, and Korea.
Academic/Business/Overseas TESOL Lecturer 1998 to present
• Designed and conducted workshops in South Africa, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Argentina, South Korea, and Eastern Europe for teachers and education majors that incorporated the following elements: Assessment including test design and administration, course design, creating course material, and both holistic and non-holistic ratings as well as train the trainer courses in which I did workshops on pedagogy techniques.
• SAT Verbal Preparation-Tutor-Private Clients
• Teach Business English to TESOL business owners and marketing executives-all sectors
• Improve verbal skills of Spanish, Japanese, Korean, and Chinese college students using a combination of personalized programs and TESOL textbooks
• Coach Russian immigrants in the nuances of interviewing skills and resume preparation
• Prepare students for TOEFL college entrance essays as well as remedial reading/writing
Touro College, New York, NY Fall Semester, 2006
• Taught Writing, Speech, and Communications – Diverse population
• Taught resume, cover letter, and job interviewing techniques that resulted in student portfolios
• Incorporated ESL techniques into curriculum and student handouts
• Evaluated student performance and assigned grades
Career Day—P.S. 161—Workshops on Photojournalism as a Career May, 2010
New York City Public, Yeshiva, Independent, and Archdiocese Schools Ongoing
Manhattan Reading Council, International Reading Association, Florida Reading Association
Workshops in South Africa, Vietnam, Argentina, and Costa Rica
• Taught creative writing, literacy, Early Childhood Education, and photojournalism in Costa Rica, South Africa
• Designed/taught after-school programs in photojournalism and critical thinking – Hong Kong
• Lectured on career choices and taught newsletter writing - Vietnam (in French) and Argentina (in Spanish) and Seoul (in English)
• Conducted TESOL and GED workshops for college-bound students in New York
• Taught business and report writing for junior managers—East European countries
Communications Manager, Facility/ Program Management Department of 1,000 staff
The Port Authority of NY/NJ (Previously in One World Trade Center) April 1998-January 2005
• Designed/conducted classes in business and report writing incorporating elements of ESL and the nuances of making speeches plus time management skills for working professionals for whom English was a second language. Wrote handbook used by all participants.
• Formulated Project Management strategy and executed creative, marketing, and technical external communications programs for entire department
• Wrote and placed timely business, financial, and technology articles in external trade and business publications and journals—worldwide
• Produced a newsletter containing project/financial articles distributed on the internal network and externally
• Wrote press releases and project press kits for trade shows, professional societies, and external marketing presentations and coordinated photo sessions
• Maintained in-house, full-service media unit with brochures, economic forecasts, and annual reports
FREELANCE Journalism, Ongoing
Articles- print and online business/communications: No Shortage of Work.com, ShareaLearning.com, Q4Colleges.com, New York Monitor Vol.56 No. 4
PUBLICATIONS: Jamie is Autistic: Learning in a Special Way—Available on Amazon.com as of December, 2013 and Go for It Leadership Handbook for All Students (Kindle and Audible.com) as of January, 2014. As of September, 2014, Let it Go, Let it Flow Leadership from Motivational Press.
Touro College, New York
M.S. Elementary/Special Education, June, 2011
City College (CUNY) New York, NY
M.S. TESOL/ESL/EFL (All levels), May, 2009
Teachers College/Columbia University, New York, NY
Graduate Studies in TESOL Instruction (K-12/Adult)
Polytechnic-NYU University, Brooklyn, NY
M.S. Financial, Business, and Medical Journalism
New York University, NY
Certificate in Book Publishing/Grant Writing
Microsoft Publisher, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
Speak, read, and write Spanish and French
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$38||$38|
|5 hours||Not available||$175||$190|
|10 hours||Not available||$300||$380|