My aim along with tutoring a student is to teach him / her the effective study skills as to boost the his / her confidence and self-esteem. I am a life-long learner, and I do my best to assist my students to become the ones, too!!!
I personalized my teaching strategies to every individual student's need, level of comprehension and experience. I helped my students become confident and in control of their own reading, so that he/she appreciates the breadth/depth of the work we did. My eventual goal has been to see my students improve and become life-long learners. From my experience, teaching the reading component of any curriculum is extremely individual for every student. In my classes, I practiced the Think-Aloud Technique through which I helped students associate the new text with their previous knowledge, and stimulated self-interrogation about the purpose of reading/author’s intentions, visualization of the possible text events/scenarios, while identifying what is important/relevant in the text being looked into. As a results, students - while skimming the text - were able to make inferences by answering the questions they have posed before the reading, and this enabled them to synthesize and easily handle the new information in the text based on the previous knowledge they had.´
I am Feruza A., I have Bachelor's degree in Teaching English Language and Literature and a Master's degree in English Linguistics. My true passion is helping my students to get up to speed with their academic goals. My specialties are mainly English ( Academic Reading / Writing and Composition/Speaking, ESL, TOEFL, IELTS, SAT), Elementary-Middle Math, Coaching on Study skills, etc. I truly believe a professional and dedicated tutor can change the student's academic performance, teach him/ her techniques to deal with hard subjects or handle huge workload... I began tutoring at high school by ways of helping my class-mates to get up to speed on the curriculum
I have been teaching K-10 graders for over 5 years and have achieved excellent results with all of my students ranging from elementary school to adult learners.
Sylvan Learning Center, El Cerrito / California
Academic Tutor (10/2017 - present)
• Provided primary study support/skill development and feedback for K–12 students on Academic/Critical Reading, Academic Writing and Composition, Math, Coding (Tynker, Python) adjusting the learning material to every student’s learning needs;
• Communicated with Sylvan staff and parents regarding students' progress and behaviour along with collaborating with administrators to generate monthly progress reports;
• Motivated and communicated in a supportive, courteous, respectful, and professional manner with students, parents and coached the first to become confident life-long learners.
Technical University Munich, Munich / Germany
Classroom Instructor to International Students (04/2014-07/2014)
● Planned and delivered persuasive presentations and organized academic support activities within M.A. program to students with diverse cultural backgrounds incorporating the feedback from professors
● Collaborated with group mate students displaying excellent team-work, ability to multi-task; exhibited efficient communication/negotiation techniques, flexibility and open-minded working style, demonstrated leadership skills and good problem-solving.
G-Peer Learning Centre, Tashkent / Uzbekistan
Academic Instructor / Student Advisor (01/2010 - 08/2013)
● Recruited, advised, and evaluating students’ (aged 15-25) academic progress, made sure enrolment goals are met, maintained a career calendar;
● Prepared lesson plans and provided instruction for K-5 on Critical /Advanced Reading, Grammar, Academic Writing and Composition, Literacy Issues assisting with homework and projects; for the programs assigned
● Provided quality individual attention to every student though e-mail, telephone, face-to-face as well as educated / motivated students to be life-long learners, instilled strong study habits, demonstrated excellent communication with different age people (students, parents, school staff), a positive attitude and patience, high flexibility; exhibited detail orientation, excellent oral / written communication, positive attitude and patience, high flexibility, ability to engage every student and to understand his / her educational and emotional needs, goodwill, empathetic attitude to student’s emotions and parent's needs;
● Applied interactive learning tools, i.e. visual aids, role play and games; applied portfolio assessment, encouraged students for self-motivation, persuasiveness, behaved proactively and enthusiastically in finding ways to solve instructional / learning problems, was highly organized, patient, dependable, displayed an ability to influence, persuade the students, was savvy operating in fast-paced working environment and in multi-tasking, showed good event planning and organizational skills.
United Nations Population Fund, Tashkent / Uzbekistan
Student Volunteer- Academic Advisor at UNDP (03/2008- 08/2010)
● Assisted volunteers on educational scholarships/ advisory issues (15-25 y.o.)
Master of Science in Education (04/2014 – nowadays, currently on a US sabbatical)
Technical University, Munich / Germany
Relevant courses: Teaching Teacher Quality Assurance by Professionalization (Grade A), Quality Assurance by Evaluation (Grade A), Development of Research Instruments (Grade A), Research on
Modification in Classroom (Grade B)
Master of Arts (Hons) in Linguistics/English Language and Literature (09/2011 - 06/2013)
National University of Uzbekistan, Tashkent / Uzbekistan
Relevant courses: General Linguistics, Educational Management, Psycholinguistics, Methodology
of Teaching English, Communicative Linguistics, Semantics
Thesis: The Psycholinguistic Studies of the Semantic Word Field’s
Dynamics (with Reference to Word Semantic Fields of the English and
Thesis grade: 87out of 100 (excellent)
Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Education (09/2007 - 07/2011)
Tashkent State Pedagogical University, Tashkent / Uzbekistan
Relevant courses: Cross-Cultural Communication, Elocution Skills, Human Psychology,
Developmental Psychology, Physiology, Methodology of Teaching English,
Pedagogical Skills and Innovative Pedagogical Technologies
Thesis: The Reflection of Human Values in Proverbs and Sayings (by the
typology of the English, Russian and Uzbek Languages)
Thesis grade: 89 out of 100 (excellent)
EXTRA - CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
“Project Manager”Course by DVV International - Tashkent, Uzbekistan (02/2010- 08/2011)
“Strategic Planning and Management” - under guidance of Social Initiatives Support Fund
“Managing the Personnel and Supervision”
“Negotiation Principles and Stages”
Language Courses for Interpreters and Translators (English) - Tashkent, Uzbekistan
(02/2005 - 03/2006)
SCHOLARSHIPS / ACHIEVEMENTS
Possesses Sylvan Teacher Certification, Received the State Scholarship for talented Graduate Students for pursuing graduate degree; became III prize winner at the Republican Olympiad (the English Language and Literature)
Prepared two manuals: “Picture Dictionary of the English, German, Russian and Uzbek Languages” for schoolchildren as well as “Instruction Technologies through Game” for undergraduate students. Several modifications of teaching methodologies have been published in twelve final papers, one of which are mentioned below:
Askarkhodjaeva, F. (2012) “The Specific Features of Teaching Foreign Languages at School”, Russian Federation, Moscow: Transformation of Economic Relations in the Conditions of the Global Economic Crisis, pp. 66 - 68.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE
Language skills: English (full professional proficiency), German (full professional proficiency), Russian (full professional proficiency), Uzbek (native).
IT skills: Operational skills of MS Office, MS Power Point, Google docs, coding program Tynker, Python, HTML, CSS.
SAT: Tutor-level SAT teaching proficiency based on high average scores / percentiles achieved.
I have known Feruza since 2008, we have studied and worked together and since that time I know her as a kind, hardworking and talented person. She is an ambitious woman with excellent knowledge in English and I believe Feruza would be an asset to any educational institution.
Teacher Feruza is very expienced and knows all the ins and outs of the materials. I took Math and English classes with Feruza. Right in 2 -3 classes she was able to structure the topic and make it all so CLEAR and SIMPLE!!! I caught up on the school curriculum so fast and became so CONFIDENT and passed my tests with the flying colours. I definitely recommend this GREAT teacher!!!
I have happened to meet Feruza 5 years ago and have started attending her classes for University admission. Her teaching style was very friendly and open, she teaches unfamiliar stuff with patience and attention to detail.I passed my entance exams after getting classes with Feruza and definitely recommend her for potential students as well!!!
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking Resume / Cover letter writing prep has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|