As a tutor, I let my students lead the discussions and the direction of the lessons. Particularly in history and politics, students don't gain any knowledge or enjoyment from a teacher lecturing at them; instead, by leading students towards an understanding of historical and political forces by creating a personal connection to the past, I can help them both understand and enjoy history.
I am a recent college graduate in history and political science, soon to be pursuing a graduate degree in international relations. Throughout my entire educational career I've been a peer mentor and tutor, helping my fellow students develop study skills, understand course material, and achieve their best in a number of academic disciplines like social studies, English, and public presentation.
Please let me know at least 12 hours before our lesson if you need to cancel; cancellations inside of that period will be charged.
The College of Wooster, Wooster, OH: August 2013 - May 2017
Bachelor of Arts, History major, Political Science minor
¬Honors: Phi Beta Kappa, Dean's List, APEX Fellow, College Scholar Award, Dean’s Scholarship, Phi Alpha Theta, The Aileen Dunham Prize in History.
Senior Independent Study Thesis: “For Country, Liberty, and Money: Privateering and the Ideologies of the American Revolution,” a year-long thesis of 100+ pages and an oral defense; earned Honors.
Paul Cuffe Memorial Fellow, October 2017-Present
Munson Institute, Mystic, CT (work from home)
• Developed self-directed history project funded by Munson Institute through the Paul Cuffe Memorial Fellowship.
• Analyzed black Americans in maritime industries in an effort to understand their engagement with the popular ideals of the American Revolutionary period.
• Research in various archives and historical societies in the eastern United States to compile primary sources.
Research Intern, December 2015 – May 2017
College of Wooster Sesquicentennial Celebration, Wooster, OH.
• Worked with a team of students under the Board of Trustees and Alumni Committee to develop exhibits celebrating history of the College.
• Researched in College’s archives, wrote and edited copy for exhibits, and developed primary message of project.
• Displayed two museum exhibits, a photobook (150 Years – Through Students’ Eyes), a walking tour app, and a website.
Presentation Coach, August 2016 – December 2016
APEX at the College of Wooster, Wooster, OH.
• Trained College of Wooster students on public speaking techniques and presentation methods.
• Worked one-on-one with students to prepare for various presentation opportunities.
Historical Research Intern, May 2016 – August 2016
Naval History and Heritage Command, History and Archives Division, Washington, DC
• Assisted Senior Historian of the US Navy with research for various journal articles.
• Compiled and transcribed documents for upcoming War of 1812 documentary history publication.
• Wrote and published analytical essay analyzing absence of privateering in the Spanish-American War.
The College of Wooster Theatre and Dance Department, Wooster, OH
• Directed staged reading of senior thesis projects Chaos Reigned (February 2016) and The Cicada’s Lullaby (April 2017)
• Lighting designer for Dance Concerts (Fall 2015, Fall 2016, and Spring 2017).
Woo91, Wooster, OH
• Play-by-play broadcaster for nationally-ranked Wooster Fighting Scots baseball team.
• Wagner, Scott D. “Why There Was No Privateering in the Spanish-American War.” The International Journal of Naval History 14, no. 1, forthcoming.
• Hettinger, Madonna J., with Sarah E. Kendrick and Scott D. Wagner. 150 Years – Through Students’ Eyes. Wooster: Wooster Color Point, 2016.
history lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest geography lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, college / university preparation lessons for all!
Taking current events lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$15||$15|