I am committed to delivering high-quality, individualized instruction. For math tutoring, I assess students' knowledge of math concepts and problem-solving strategies, then I prepare individualized lessons. The lessons that I use incorporate visuals and problem-solving strategies, and before the tutoring session is over, I ensure that the students are understanding the concepts of math and are applying problem-solving strategies correctly. So, I ask students questions, and provide clarification and additional examples, if needed. I engage students’ curiosity by encouraging and guiding them to figure out alternative ways to solve a problem. Assistance and support is given to the students with their homework when needed. And I provide opportunities for them to practice and strengthen their math skills, using an interactive and engaging format.
We cover the topics in their homework, and additional exercises and activities are provided to ensure that they understand the concepts. Students work on word problems that incorporate storytelling to make connections to real-world problems, and they use different methods to solve problems. We cover math topics that the students are currently studying this school year, and focus on those which they need more work on. Enlightening ways of conceptualizing math concepts, from sources such as the book The Joy of X, are included during the course of the tutoring.
Presently, I am working towards earning a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mathematics Education at Western Governors University. I have successfully completed over 100 college credits, including undergraduate-level software engineering courses at Oregon Institute of Technology.
Currently, I am tutoring elementary and middle school students in math and reading. In addition to tutoring online, I held an instructional assistant position as a volunteer at a local elementary school. My passion for helping others and learning new things gives me purpose and motivation. That is a reason for why I am committed to instilling in students a love for learning. Math is my favorite subject to tutor. I explain difficult math concepts clearly by incorporating visual representations, and I engage students' curiosity by encouraging and guiding them to figure out alternative ways to solve a problem.
Experienced tutor with a proven ability to deliver high-quality, individualized instruction in math, reading, and writing. Skilled in explaining difficult math concepts clearly, and dedicated to helping students succeed. Passionate for learning inside and outside the classroom, and committed to instilling in students a love for learning. A strong mathematics background demonstrated by receiving the Math Achiever of the Month Award and a 5 on the AP Calculus AB Exam, successfully completing undergraduate-level engineering courses, and currently working towards becoming a middle school math teacher. Experienced in tutoring children, including ESL or ELL students, and young adults.
B.S. Mathematics Education | Western Governors University, Salt Lake City, UT June 2020
B.S. Software Engineering | Oregon Institute of Technology, Klamath Falls, OR 2015-2016
Relevant coursework: Argumentative Writing, Public Speaking, Trigonometry, Differential Calculus, C++ Programming I and II, Embedded C, Digital Logic I, Computer Organization, and Computer Architecture
Completed 36 credits, GPA 3.88
President’s List Honors
Rotary Club Award
Phi Theta Kappa National Honor Society
Math Achiever of the Month
World-class customer service
Proficient in English grammar
Bilingual in English and Spanish
Exceptional teamwork and collaboration skills
Varsity Tutors | Portland, OR
Online Tutor (Independent Contractor)
• Providing clients with excellent customer service by writing detailed lesson plans, and following up after tutoring sessions
• Helping students with various subjects, and providing individualized instruction based on their background knowledge
• Facilitating student engagement in activities involving math, writing, or reading, and providing guidance and support when needed
• Teaching ESL or ELL students reading and writing skills, and providing opportunities for them to practice speaking the English language conversationally
English and Spanish Tutor by Skype
• Developed interactive lesson plans to present topics in a fun and creative way, and engaged students’ attention by incorporating music, poetry, and pictures
• Used technology skillfully to facilitate online learning, and promoted independent learning by incorporating learning strategies
• Provided many opportunities for language acquisition, including exercises that allowed students to think critically, as well as explore and play with their language skills
Dry Hollow Elementary School | The Dalles, OR
Instructional Assistant (Volunteer)
• Facilitated student participation in group activities involving math, writing, or reading, and provided guidance, instruction, and support when needed
• Assisted students one-on-one with various subjects, and provided individualized instruction based on their background knowledge, and asked questions to provide clarification and additional examples, if necessary
• Explained difficult math concepts clearly by incorporating visual representations, and engaged students’ curiosity by encouraging and guiding them to figure out alternative ways to solve a problem
• Helped ESL or ELL students with their homework, and provided opportunities for them to practice using the English language
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking arithmetic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|