My teaching method is the Present, Practice and Performance Method. (PPP) I use this method interchangeably so students practice learning English in these three ways. The Presentation, is of course, what they will learn; the Practice is practicing what we learned, and Performance is showing and understanding what we learn in each lesson. My philosophy is to make lessons engaging, but not confusing, which helps students learn and gives them the confidence to use the English that they learn.
I am a qualified ESL teacher who has taught this subject for eight years. I taught and lived in China for seven years, so I understand the issues that students have learning the many areas of English. I am very cognizant of speaking clearly and slowly to students. This enables them to understand English better and more quickly.
John David Athan
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001
English as a Second Language Teacher and have been the past eight years. Areas of expertise include: Working with pre-kindergarten to adult students; proven ability to greatly increase students’ listening, speaking, reading and writing skills; able to guide and improve students’ pronunciation, phonics and daily conversation skills; possess the ability to create interactive, challenging and engaging classroom activities; instill an energetic learning atmosphere in my classes; excellent mentor and role model for my students; encourage students to discover, express and discuss their thoughts and ideas; develop students learning, understanding, and most importantly, able to encourage students to use the English skills that they have learned. I am a teacher who is patient, vibrant and versatile.
• Master of Art-Leadership
Saint Mary’s College of California, 2006
• Bachelor of Science Degree-Sociology
Utah State University, 1992
• TESOL Certificate-Midwest Education Group, 2011
Beijing, China-August 2018-Present
• ESL On-line Teacher
• Accomplishment: Continually achieving excellent approval marks from all 15 students and parents since beginning of employment
• Accomplishment: 100% attendance and on-time class record since I have begun my employment
• Accomplishment: Have greatly increased all students’ English skills: listening, speaking, reading, writing and comprehension
• Maple Leaf Educational Systems
Pingdingshan, China-February 2015-July 2018
• ESL Teacher
• Accomplishment: Created and implemented our campus’ first classroom listening laboratory to improve students’ listening skills; students making substantial improvement with their listening skills, as well as reading and speaking skills
• Accomplishment: Most successful at guiding students to increase their phonics, spelling, pronunciation and use of the English language, while teaching over 30 classes each week. Have implemented creative and engaging English exercises that has increased students’ desires to want to learn English. Encourage students to use the English skills that they have learned with confidence in their daily lives. Effectively help them understand when and how to use their English vocabulary that they have learned. Coach and proofread student’s speeches for our speech contests
• Accomplishment: Received Excellent Classroom Teacher Award for Spring Semester, 2015
• Accomplishment: Greatly contributed to the enrollment of eight students because of my teaching method and activities in my demonstration classes in the month of May 2015
• Accomplishment: Astute at determining the correct class-level for each student based on his or her English abilities. Excellent at foreseeing students’ strengths and weaknesses that has greatly benefited each student receiving the necessary help that she or he needs, which in turn, has helped each student improve his or her English skills
• Spirit Kids
• Chengdu, China-January 2014-February 2015
• Accomplishment: Greatly increased students’ listening and speaking skills
• Accomplishment: Oversaw, tested and evaluated each new student, and did excellent at evaluating each student’s English strengths and weaknesses
• Maple Leaf Educational Systems
• Ordos, China-August 2012-January 2014
• ESL and Science Teacher
• Accomplishment: Taught all ESL classes at the campus; incorporated proven ESL teaching methods, and created own successful teaching activities that greatly increased students’ English skills and ignited their desire to use what they learned
• Accomplishment: Successfully planned, organized and hosted the first two science fairs and the first speech contest at the Ordos Campus
• Accomplishment: An outstanding guide and coach who guided new, or less experienced teachers, with insightful and creative teaching skills and techniques to help improve their teaching skills
• Received Third Place award for student enthusiasm and participation for all Maple Leaf campuses in China
• Tsinghua International School
• Beijing, China-May 22, 2011 -June 16, 2012
• ESL Teacher
• Accomplishment: Taught and tutored beginning ninth and tenth-grade students, and achieved a 92% student success-rate, that enabled students to be accepted to the advanced-level English courses
• Accomplishment: A major contributor and organizer for the success of the school’s first English Speech and Literary Exhibition
Most knowledgeable in the administrative, admissions, retention, outreach, academic advising and inter-departmental cooperation areas of higher education
Speak intermediate Spanish and beginning Chinese
ESL lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, vocabulary - english lessons for all!
Taking writing comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$35||$35|