In the past, I have met most of my students, who ranged from K-12 students to classmates in college, and to graduate students in other areas who had difficulty with English, through referrals. I have recently moved to the Bay Area, and joined SuperProf as I do not have a referral circle here yet.
With homework help, I like to guide the student to find the answer, rather than giving it. I give hints on similar problems, which chapter in the textbook might help with the solution, or ask the student to explain the subject to me in their own words. Once the student acquires necessary critical thinking skills, they will need less assistance in the future.
When giving essay help, I like to discuss the bibliographic material with the student to come up with a structure for the essay. Once we have the structure, and then a draft, I can revise and proofread it.
I will be happy to provide feedback from my former students. Just ask :)
I started giving lessons when I was in college...it has been 13 years now! I met my longest-running student for homework help and tutoring when she was in 6th grade, and we kept studying together half way through high school. I had six other students I met semi-regularly other than her. Two of them were references I got after the improvement in her grades once we started studying together.
Most recently, I wrote a dissertation for myself, and continuously gave academic essay and thesis writing help to students in humanities and social sciences. My long-distance student finished her BA in History and MA in International Trade, and I helped her with English, History, Political Science, Economics, and International Trade papers from sophomore year through end of her MA.
Purdue University, PhD, West Lafayette, IN
Aug 2009 – Aug 2016
- Philosophy and Literature Program
- Specialization in Philosophy in ethics, social and political philosophy and language, society and women
- Specialization in French in 20th century literature and theory, including feminism and semiotics.
- Dissertation title: “Language and Attribution: Women and Identity”. The transition from the identity of Ottoman woman to Republican Turkish woman created after 1920s to Turkish women in the modern era by use of semiotic analysis of print advertisements, and the roles performed by women in each period
- Recipient of 2013-2014 PRF Research Grant for dissertation
- Recipient of a PROMISE Award in Spring 2016 to present “Tracing Camille Claudel’s Mental Breakdown in Her Statues Depicting Lovers and in Her Personal Love Letters” at ACLA’s annual meeting
- Recipient of Summer 2016 Bilsland Dissertation Fellowship
- Graduate Teacher Certificate from Center for Instructional Excellence, Apr 2013
- Graduation GPA 3.59/4.00
Yildiz Technical University, PG Certificate, Istanbul, Turkey
Oct 2008 – Jun 2009
- Pedagogical training for secondary language teaching
- Specialized in ESL
University of Leicester, MA, Leicester, UK
Sep 2007 – Sep 2008
- MA in Modern Literature (awarded on Jan. 23, 2009)
- MA thesis on Joe Orton’s use of the stage directions ‘pause’ and ‘silence’ in his plays
University of Copenhagen, Erasmus student, Copenhagen, Denmark
Aug 2006 – Jan 2007
- Enrolled in the Department of Media, Cognition and Communication, Department of Arts and Cultural Studies, and Department of English, Germanic and Romance Studies as exchange student
- Took various courses on Nordic cultures and architecture
Bogazici University, BA, Istanbul, Turkey
Sep 2003 – Jun 2007
- Double Major in Department of Philosophy and Department of English Language and Literature
- Top score for the Department of Philosophy in the national university entrance examination in 2003
- BA thesis in English Literature on William Shakespeare’s approach to love and lovers in his romances
- Undergraduate Certificate in Copywriting
- Graduated with High Honors
- Graduation GPA 3.51/4.00
Robert College, High School, Istanbul, Turkey
Sep 1999 – Jun 2003
- Science diploma
- Graduated with Honors
COLLEGE TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Assigned classes – Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
- FR 101: French Level I (Fall 2010, Spring 2012, Spring 2013)
- FR 102: French Level II (Fall 2009, Spring 2010)
- FR 201: French Level III (Fall 2011, Summer 2012, Fall 2012)
- FR 202: French Level IV (Spring 2011, Summer 2011)
Guest instructor – Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
- PHIL 111: Ethics (Fall 2012)
- FR 301: French Level V (Fall 2012)
- FR 342: Introduction à la littérature française,1800- (Fall 2010)
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
Private tutoring – freelance
Sep 2003 – cont.
- Helping secondary and high school students with their schoolwork in all courses
- Guiding college students in writing research papers for humanities courses
- Teaching beginner’s level second languages/assisting with coursework to all age groups
Teaching Assistant (French) – PU School of Languages and Cultures, West Lafayette, IN
Aug 2009 – May 2013
- Teaching 101-202 level French courses
- Making lesson plans for lecture and lab sections of each course
- Preparing tests and quizzes in consultation with the other instructors of the same level
- Grading tests, quizzes and other assignments
- Holding office hours and tutoring hours to be available for students if needed
Program Coordinator – EduGuide, Istanbul, Turkey
Sep 2008 – Jun 2009
- Running the CampUSA program enabling university students from Turkey to teach or work in summer camps in the US
- Assisting the students with their applications
- Corresponding with the overseas partners regarding the applicants
- Conducting English language level tests for outgoing applicants
- Running conversation classes for outgoing applicants
Teaching Trainee – Besiktas Anatolian High School, Istanbul, Turkey
Feb 2009 – Jun 2009
- Training as an ESL instructor as part of pedagogical training program at Yildiz Technical University
- Teaching selected English language and culture topics under the supervision of an advanced ESL teacher
- Assisting the teacher in charge with the preparation and grading of written evaluations
Fluent: English, French, Turkish
I appreciate the way Esra approaches learning. She was able to connect with her students by providing an array of learning techniques while bringing a fun energy to the classroom. She is passionate about this profession and I highly recommend her!
Academic tutoring close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, Homework help for all!
Taking Dissertation and thesis writing preparation has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$40||$35|
|5 hours||Not available||$183||$175|
|10 hours||Not available||$348||$350|