I am working towards my Master's of Arts degree in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in Secondary Math Education. I graduated Regis University in 2010 with a BS in Mathematics. I currently hold a Teaching License in the state of Colorado.
I soon realized working at the community college that students in middle school and high school really need the opportunity to process their learning. This typically is something that many students do not get access to. I felt that my knowledge and teaching style have been helpful in allowing over 500 students (across the last 5 years) to learn in a better, more efficient way.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATION
University of Colorado Denver; Urban Community Teacher Education (UCTE) Program
Colorado Teaching License, Secondary Mathematics Graduated May 2014
M.S. Education; Curriculum & Instruction, Secondary Mathematics, 3.95 GPA In Progress
Red Rocks Community College, Lakewood, CO
College Reading & Learning Association Tutoring Certification: Levels I, II, III Aug 2012-May 2013
PLACE Exam, Passed Jan 2011
Regis University, Denver, CO
Honors Program; B.S. Mathematics; Minors in Music/Leadership, Magna Cum Laude, 3.84 GPA May 2010
Prealgebra/7th Grade Math Lab Instructor, Windsor Charter Academy, Windsor, CO Aug 2016-Present
• Provided data-driven unit assessments for students to improve instructional practices and increase accountability.
• Demonstrated average growth in student Measure of Academic Progress Assessments of 130% the expected rate.
• Compiled individualized goals addressing specific skills for students to work on using Khan Academy.
• Engaged in professional development course, “Growth Mindset”, which encouraged academic perseverance.
• Co-sponsored and coached MATHCOUNTS club for two hours each week, advancing students’ number theory.
• Acquired $450 grant through Target Field Trips to bring students to pizzeria to gain real-world math experience.
• Co-created video for contest, “John Oliver, Back Off My Charter School”, winning one of fifty $1000 prizes.
• Supervised student Rubik’s Cube Club which designed 20 x 20 mosaics across a period of six weeks.
• Motivated ten students to complete “Mathalon”, an individualized competition using the program, Knowlegehook.
• Participated voluntarily in induction program “Teach Like a Champion” for personal professional development.
• Led discussion on “Brain Rules” by John Medina (organized book club meeting weekly after school).
Mathematics Instructor, 7th-12th grades, Weldon Valley School, Weldona, CO Jan 2015-May 2016
• Spearheaded eligibility requirement change from 4-point system to 2-point system to increase academic rigor.
• Adapted textbook curriculum on a regular basis to include supplemental lessons for six unique levels of math.
• Improved mathematics performance of 85 students on district Scantron test by 130% of the projected growth rate.
• Integrated IXL online program with traditional curriculum; encouraged students to answer 100,000+ questions.
• Presented professional development to colleagues around utilizing IXL program in math and language arts.
• Created many original assignments and assessments dependent upon student data and progress monitoring.
• Led two-hour, semi-monthly Friday School Tutoring Program for students with missing or late work.
• Completed 65 Master Teacher modules to increase knowledge of classroom management and teaching strategies.
• Constructed mosaics through the “You Can Do The Rubik’s Cube” Program with students across six weeks.
• Coached Jr/Sr High School Knowledge Bowl teams for two consecutive years at the district and regional levels.
Math/Tech Lit Instructor, 6th-8th grades, Adams City Middle School, Commerce City, CO Sept 2014-Dec 2014
• Utilized ALEKS and Math IXL with 90 students; monitored progress and provided weekly feedback.
• Implemented a “passport” system to hold students accountable and encourage steady pacing to align with CCSS.
Teacher Candidate, 6th-12th grades, Aurora Public Schools, Aurora, CO Aug 2013-May 2014
• Applied weekly professional development to advance personal teaching techniques within an urban environment.
• Devised a classroom management system to address both behavior and mathematical content.
• Developed lesson plans once a month for Core 1 Mathematics (Freshmen) and AP Calculus (Juniors/Seniors).
Academic Coach/Tutor, Raising The Bar Academic Coaching, Denver Metro Area, CO June 2010-Present
• Used entrepreneurial skills to create a personal business providing affordable, in-home math/science tutoring.
• Tutored students in-home and virtually in all levels of math, physics, chemistry, Latin, ACT prep and study skills.
Adjunct Mathematics Faculty/Tutor, Red Rocks Community College, Lakewood, CO Aug 2011-May 2013
• Instructed 25-50 students each semester in MAT 030 Fundamentals, attaining an 80% average pass rate.
• Contributed key ideas to senior faculty on tutoring effectiveness, teaching strategies and resource implementation.
• Tutored 300+ students in all math through Calculus and Statistics; 25 hours per week, individually and in groups.
ADDITIONAL EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCES/PUBLICATIONS
Author, “Full STE(A)M Ahead”, UKEd Magazine Oct 2016
• Wrote a two-page article addressing the importance of creativity and the arts within STEM education.
Board Member, Colorado Gifted and Talented (CAGT) Oct 2016
• Attended Colorado Annual Conference and shared learning with colleagues following the conference.
• Participated actively in bi-monthly meetings related to addressing needs of gifted learners.
Author, “Classroom Leadership Vs. Classroom Management”, UKEd Magazine Sept 2016
• Wrote a two-page article addressing techniques and strategies for successful classroom management.
Twitter Chat Co-host, “Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance—Angela Duckworth”, #TEDEdChat Sept 2016
• Assisted in moderating educational Twitter Chat by creating questions and responding to participants’ posts.
Animation Script-Designer, “How the Konigsberg Bridge Problem Changed Mathematics”, TED-Ed Sept 2016
• Composed a second script discussing the emergence of graph theory; video received to date ~265K views.
7th Grade CCSS Curriculum Analyst, All Students All Standards Instructional Strategies Institute Summer 2016
• Collaborated with math teachers from other districts to design lesson plans for 7th grade Common Core standards.
• Represented group in brief interview discussing current education system and future of teaching in Colorado.
Educational Curator, Teacher Practice Network, Battelle for Kids Summer 2016
• Utilized social networks (Facebook, Twitter, Pintrest, and Edublog) to disseminate educational information.
• Created blog “Docendo Discimus” (“By teaching, we learn”) to share insight and wisdom gained through teaching.
• Engaged in forums using Schoology platform to discuss assignment topics with colleagues and online facilitator.
Animation Script-Designer, “Can You Solve The Einstein Riddle”, TED-Ed Nov 2015
• Wrote a creative script on a traditional logic puzzle; video received to date ~4.9 million views.
Interviewee, The New Teacher Podcast Sept 2015 & Jan 2016
• Discussed the use of the Rubik’s Cube for instruction following publication of an article in the Fort Morgan Times.
Guest Educational Speaker, TeachCow.com Aug 2015 & Jan 2016
• Provided insight and brainstormed ideas for the episode, “How Teachers Beat Stress” on January 26, 2016.
• Shared personal story and participated in a discussion for the episode, “Teacher Burnout” on August 11, 2015.
Author, “Run-to-Reference; Foundational Mathematics”, Raising The Bar Academic Coaching Spring 2013
• Created a full-color, 26-page manual addressing fundamental math concepts in a detailed glossary format.
“Random Acts of Kindness” Award (Student-nominated), Windsor Charter Academy Nov 2016
“Top 100 Colorado Educators to Follow on Twitter”, @iTeachLipscomb Aug 2016
“Golden Apple for Teacher Excellence” Award (Administration-nominated), Windsor Charter Academy Aug 2016
Robert Noyce STEM Teacher Scholarship, University of Colorado Denver Oct 2013-May 2016
Regis University Mathematics Scholarship, Regis University Aug 2006-May 2010
Dan really knows his Calc 2. He was able to see where I needed improvement and then he made sure to drive those points home. He has patients and a great personality. Easy to work with. He also changed his weekend plans and drove 50 miles to help me study for my Calc 2 final exam. I would recommend Dan to anyone!
Academic tutoring close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$40||$35|