I believe in helping students succeed by helping them find the right answer. My goal is to teach students how to learn, so that they can find answers themselves. I am not the answer key, I don't know everything, but I know how to find it.
I am an Animal Scientist, with experience in animal Biology, Chemistry, and Math. I have taught over 70 students in Feeds and Feeding Lab, as well as conducted research in animal nutrition and disease detection. My training involves extensive knowledge of statistics, and bio-chemistry
Ira Lloyd Parsons
Critical thinker with growing leadership skills combined with knowledge of the agricultural industry. Sets high goals, is willing to overcome obstacles and achieve success while maintaining a reputation for personal integrity among peers and superiors.
Master of Science in Animal Science, GPA 3.24 May 2018
Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
Thesis Title: Prediction of feed intake and feed efficiency in feedlot steers
based on phenotypic associations with feeding behavior and carcass ultrasound traits.
Bachelor of Science in Grain Science and Industry, GPA: 3.67, Major GPA: 3.78 August 2015
Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas
Major: Feed Science and Management
Associates of Science, GPA: 3.85 May 2013
Allen County Community College, Iola, Kansas
Major: Farm and Ranch Management
Proficient in: Blood Sample Collection, Forage and Feed Analysis, Animal Handling, Centrifuge Operation, Forced Air Dryer and NIR lab equipment, JMP®, SAS®, Microsoft Access, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word as well as GrowSafe® Systems DAQ software and Filemaker.
Familiar with: Blood sample processing, Grazing management, Beef NRC 2016, LRNS diet balancing software, SAS, R, Auto CAD.
Graduate Teaching Assistant 2015 - Present
Animal Science Department, Texas A&M University
" Lab instructor
" Prepared and graded lab work, quizzes, lecture exams and research papers
Graduate Research Assistant 2015 - Present
Animal Science Department, Texas A&M University
" Develop research projects, establish objectives, write protocols, analyze study results and write research abstracts, reports and papers.
" Develop research presentations to present scientific findings at national meetings
" Communicate with industry collaborators to develop ideas, design equipment, and trouble shoot issues confronted in perfecting and validating behavior monitoring technology
" Maintain a database containing over 1.8 million individual feeding records
" Write manuscripts for publication in scientific journals
Program Development Intern May - August 2015
MFA Incorporated, Columbia Missouri - Feed division
" Market analysis of MFA HealthTrack® branded calves
" Drafting of brochures and pamphlets advertising MFA feed and marketing program
" Cash flow analysis of a confined cow-calf operation, development of multiple parameters including maximizing production by splitting the herd into multiple calving groups
" Development, testing, and training for a new database management system used to capture and store production records for producer enrolled in the MFA HealthTrack® program.
Noble Scholar in Agriculture May 2014 - August 2014
Noble Research Institute, Ardmore, Oklahoma
" Managed a thirty-day study to analyze growth, energy consumption and forage utilization between rotational vs. continuous grazing management systems
" Create progress reports and meet with fellow team members to define project goals and progress
" Analyze regional market reports to determine market value calves value of value added feeder calves, specifically Integrity Beef enrolled calves.
Undergraduate Research Coordinator August 2014 - May 2015
Grain Science Department, Kansas State University, Manhattan Kansas
" Planned, executed and helped conduct industry, graduate, and undergraduate level research. Included Pelletability research, Enzyme stability during pelletability, hammer mill settings effect on particle size, and developing correlation between hot mash temperature and hot pellet temperature as preliminary work to the Pork Boards PED trial.
" Prepare the Feed Safety and Research Center for containment trials investigating PED, including cleaning, equipment set up, and supplies.
" Communicate with Dr. Stark via weekly meetings.
" Aid in grain science planning and conducting feed research projects
" Responsible for lab setup, logistics and scheduling of lab equipment and supplies
Mill Hand June 2013 - 2015
O.H. Kruse Feed Technology and Innovation Center, Manhattan, Kansas
" Responsible for daily mill operations, manufacturing and cleanup
" Equipment troubleshooting, communication with teammates
" Operation of the latest mill automation software
" Write production, maintenance, and record keeping SOPs
" Prepare for FDA audit, developed protocol to earn recognition as a licensed feed manufacturing facility from the State of Kansas
" Draft safety protocols and weekly maintenance checklists and schedules.
Parsons Family Farms, Leavenworth, Kansas
" Grew up working on my family's farm in North East Kansas. Involved in all aspects of operating a 200-head purebred and commercial Red Angus Cowherd and managing 700 acres of row crops.
Writing Tutor August 2012 - May 2013
Allen Community College, Iola, Kansas
" I worked in the Writing Center helping students with writing assignments through face-to-face consultations and via the online Writing Lab, giving comments and suggestions on papers. Helping others go through the writing process ingrained in me the steps of composition, the rules of grammar, and the best way to achieve economy of words while still providing clear meaning.
Equipment Operator May 2011 - August 2011
Murrfield Farms, McClouth, KS
" Feed and check cattle
" Mow/spray pastures
" Equipment maintenance and care.
International, National, and Regional Meeting Presentations
1. Parsons, I.L., G.E. Carstens, J.R. Johnson, W.C. Kayser, C.A. Olson. Application of Partial Least Squares regression to predict feed efficiency based on feeding behavior in beef cattle. Plains Nutrition Council, San Antonio, TX, April 2018.
2. Parsons, I.L., C.L. Daigle, G.E. Carstens. Consistently efficient: the use of feeding behavior to identify efficient beef cattle. International Symposium of Applied Animal Ethologist, Prince Edward Island, Canada. July, 2018.
3. Parsons, I.L., G.E. Carstens, W.C. Kayser, J. R. Johnson. Application of partial least squares regression to predict feed efficiency based on feeding behavior patterns in beef cattle. International Symposium on the Nutrition of Herbivores, Clermont-Ferrand, France. September 2018. Ref. # 0401
4. Parsons, I.L., W.C. Kayser, G.E. Carstens. Application of partial least squares regression to predict feed efficiency based on feeding behavior patterns in beef cattle. Southern Section Animal Science Meeting, Fort Worth, TX. 6 February 2018. Abstract #25
5. Kayser, W.C., G.E. Carstens, I.L. Parsons, K.E. Washburn, S.D. Lawhon and W.E. Pinchak. Evaluation of statistical process control algorithms for preclinical detection of BRD in beef cattle. Plains Nutrition Council, San Antonio, TX. April 2017. 2nd Place Poster Presentation Award.
6. Olson, C.A., G.E. Carstens, A.D. Herring, D.S. Hale, I.L. Parsons, J.R. Johnson, W.C. Kayser and R.K. Miller. Temperament on arrival alters growth efficiency, feeding behavior, and carcass characteristics of feedlot cattle. Plains Nutrition Council, San Antonio, TX. April 2017.
7. Kayser, W.C., I.L. Parsons, G.E. Carstens, M.L. Jenks, A.G. Cupples, J.E. Sawyer, K.S. Barling and E. Chevaux. Effects of Saccharomyces cerevisiae CNCM 1-1077 Supplementation on Feeding Behaviors and Growth Efficiency in Crossbred Beef Steers Fed a High-Grain Diet. Southern Section Animal Science Meeting, Franklin, TN. 7 February 2017.
8. Parsons, I.L. J. Johnson, W.C. Kayser, Hafla, A. L.O. Tedeschi, and G.E. Carstens. Impact of post weaning residual feed intake in heifers on efficiency of forage utilization in pregnant cows. Dr. Kenneth & Caroline Eng Trust Fund Symposium. Lincoln, NE. 6 October 2016.
9. Parsons, I. L., and C. K. Jones. Effects of specialty soybean product inclusion on pelletability and pellet quality in early swine diets. Kansas State University Gamma Sigma Delta Undergraduate Research Showcase. Manhattan, KS. 25 April 2014. Top 3 Poster Presentation Award.
List of Courses Taught
Course Credit Hours Teaching Percentage Avg. No Students Taught
ANSC 318 Feeds and Feeding Lab 3 100 25 S16, SR16, S17
" Animal Science Graduate Student Association: Service Committee
" Texas A&M Big Event Community Service Day: Participant, group leader
" Texas A&M Animal Science Department: Public outreach at the Texas Grazing Conference
" Ambassador for the Texas A&M Office of Graduate Studies Blog 2018
" Kansas State University Livestock Judging Team 2014
" Kansas State University Feed Science Club 2013-15
o President 2014-15
" Kansas State University Collegiate Farm Bureau 2013-15
o Vice President of Registrar 2014-15
" Kansas State University Collegiate Cattlemen's Club 2013-15
" Phi Theta Kappa Member 2011-13
" Allen Community College Livestock Judging Team 2011-13
o San Antonio National Livestock Contest
" 4th high team, goats
o 2nd High Individual Dixie National Livestock Judging Contest
" 4th Brahmans, 7th Reasons, 8th British
o North American International Livestock Exposition
" 10th High Team
" Allen Community College Collegiate Farm Bureau 2011-13
o President 2012-13
o Treasure 2011-12
o Earth Day Committee Hosting kid's day at the Farm
o Kansas Farm Bureau Quiz Bowl Competition, 2nd Place team 2013
" Session Co-Chair: Southern Section of the American Society of Animal Science Meetings.
" Member: American Society of Animal Science, National Cattlemen's Beef Association, Texas and Southwest Cattle Raisers Association, Kansas Livestock Association, Leavenworth County Beef Improvement Association.
" Hurricane Harvey Disaster Relief Team: Join disaster relief teams deployed to Houston to clean up post hurricane Harvey.
" Parkway Baptist Church: Member, actively involved in student ministry, volunteer with the AWANA ® program, help with VBS, community missions
" SHIP International: Traveled to El Salvador on a short-term mission trip to work on various construction projects. The ministry primarily focused on educating youth unable to attend school.
" Certified Kansas 4-H Dog Judge: Judge county fairs teaching 4-Her's the importance of communication, dedication, and the application of knowledge through the Dog Care and Training Project.
" Kansas 4-H Community Service Committee 2010
Awards & Honors
" Grain Science Outstanding Senior in Feed Science 2015
" Max Straube Achievement
Award for Outstanding Junior in Feed Science 2014
" KSU College of Agriculture Undergraduate Research Winner 2014
" Kansas State University Agriculture Scholars in Agriculture 2013-15
" Leavenworth County Beef Improvement
Association Scholarship recipient 2011,12,13,17
" Kansas Livestock Association Ralgro®
Wheels for Bucks Scholarship 2012
" 9th High Livestock Judging team San Antonio National Livestock Contest 2013
o 4th High Team Goats
" 2nd High Individual Dixie National Livestock Contest 2013
o 4th Brahmans, 7th Reasons, 8th British
" 2nd Place Kansas Farm Bureau Quiz Bowl Team 2013
" 10th High Team North American International Livestock Contest 2013
" Reserve Champion Agility 2 Kansas State Fair 2012
" Reserve Champion Rally-O 3 Kansas State Fair 2012
" Kansas State FFA Livestock Judging Contest 5th Place Team 2010
o 5th Place Sheep
" Leavenworth County Fair Grand Champion Steer, Carcass Contest 2010
" Reserve Champion Agility 3 Kansas State Fair 2008
college / university preparation lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest technology lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, agricultural sciences lessons for all!
Taking agronomy lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$14||$14|