Learners set their own goals so they can get the most enjoyment out of learning music, and become the musician they want to become. My teaching has a strong emphasis on improvisation and composition so that students are encouraged to become musicians rather than solely music students.
I am well qualified and have been awarded a distinction for a Master of Music Degree, first class for a BA (Hons) in Music, and a Distinction for a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Music Performance. I also have extensive professional performance experience.
Education and Qualifications
2016-2017 - Master of Music, Newcastle University, Distinction
2013-2016 - Bachelor of Arts with First Class Honours in Music, Newcastle University
2012-2013 - Grade 8 Guitar (Pass), Grade 5 Music Theory (Distinction), Self-Obtained, Norfolk
2010-2012 - Level Three Advanced Diploma in Music Performance (Distinction), Access to Music, Norwich
2008-2010 - Chemistry A2 (B); Maths A2 (C); History A2 (C), East Norfolk Sixth Form College, Norfolk
2006-2008 - 9 GCSEs, grades A-C, including Maths and English, Acle High School, Norfolk
Work Experience and Employment
Relevant Work Experience
May 2018 - Present, Bass Guitar Tutor, the Rock Project, Newcastle
• In this work I provide tuition to children between the ages of 7 and 11. The children are newcomers to the instrument and I provide group lessons
• I have learnt to keep students motivated and hold their concentration through lessons.
August 2015 - Present, Guitar Tutor, Self-employed, Newcastle
• As a private tutor, I prepare work prior to classes and assess progress of students, offering encouragement and guidance.
• I have learnt to deliver information in a clear and concise manner, ensuring that I am effective in my communication. This has improved my organisational and time-keeping skills.
March 2017 - Present, Exams Invigilator, Sacred Heart High School, Newcastle
• For this work I prepare the exam hall prior to examinations, provide equipment to students, and ensure the exam progresses in the way dictated by the exam board.
• Invigilating exams has developed my ability to remain calm whilst working as part of a team in a high pressure environment. This job requires me to follow strict regulations effectively.
October 2012 - May 2013, Volunteer Teaching Assistant, Norfolk Adult Education, Great Yarmouth
• I worked on a one-to-one basis and in small groups under the direction of the tutor. After the session I provided feedback to the tutor on student’s progression.
• This role made me aware of the barriers to learning that people experience.
Relevant Creative Practice Experience
2016 - Present, Solo musician/filmmaker/artist
• For the Love of Ivy (2018-2022), Self-institutional mixed media archive project.
• Keep Your Dreams (2017), Mixtape, photo-album and zine independently released.
• Lessons From a Dead Man (2017), Video Album independently released.
• Alistair Edward Marwood (2016), Video Album independently released.
2017-Present, Guitarist, Post-Xerox.
• Released numerous albums as one half of the inter-city improvisation duo Post-Xerox.
• Performed at various events in the Newcastle and London experimental music and fine art scene.
2016 - 2017, Session Bassist, Luke McCormick’s Salsa Project
• Regularly performed at professional world music events in Newcastle upon Tyne.
2015 - 2017, Session Guitarist, James Leonard Hewitson
• Supported the Crazy World of Arthur Brown and Focus; played at Carefully Planned Festival; We Are Family Festival.
• Performed on two national headline tours
• Guitarist on the singles ‘Careless, Loveless’, and ‘Dream Person’
2013 - 2016, Guitarist, Box of Light
• Performed at Latitude, Secret Garden Party, Green Man
• One national headline tour, and tour support on two national tours, including Wavves (2015).
• Guitarist on the single ‘Falling’; appeared in the videos for the singles ‘the Island’, and ‘Always You’.
2010-2012, Session Guitarist, Freelance Experience
• Performed with the B.B.C. Concert Orchestra at Norwich Theatre Royal
• Recorded a live session with Maverick Sabre.
2010-2012, Guitarist, Dead Ends
• Recorded and released two E.P.s and one single independently
• Regularly performed in Norwich and London, supported national touring bands including Dog is Dead.
guitar lessons closeby? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest acoustic guitar lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, electric guitar lessons for all!
Taking bass guitar lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|