I am a firm believer in multiple learning styles. Therefore, I assess my students' interests and styles when developing lesson plans. Some students learn best by reading while others respond best to music or movement. If you are simply looking for a native English speaker as your language exchange partner, I would be happy to chat about business, culture, entertainment, politics, and/or society. Just name your topics!
I am a native English speaker with a Midwestern accent. I also have a Ph.D. in Communication, an M.A. in Organizational and Multicultural Communication, and a B.A. in Interdisciplinary Communications. I have taught Business and Professional Communication (Public Speaking) as well as other Communications courses at the university level for ten years, and I taught ESL in Daejeon, South Korea for two months in 1995.
Cancelations made less than 24 hours before scheduled appointments will be charged at the full rate for the entire appointment.
Consultant, Korean Education Center, Chicago, IL - Jul. 2017-Current
- Create and deliver presentations on Korean pop culture topics to K-12 and adult audiences at programs and events supported by the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Korea.
- Contribute creative ideas as a member of the cross-cultural team that plans and implements KEC educational events across the Midwest including the 2017 Korea High School Day in Lexington, Kentucky.
- Exemplifies teamwork as a member of event staff, actively participating in set up/tear down, working registration, running cultural activity booths, and fulfilling other needs.
Freelance Writer and Editor, Self-Employed, Chicago, IL - Apr. 2016-Current
- Composed the web content for Atlanta’s Census 2020 homepage and its “Hard to Count” page, both which advocate for the inclusion of marginalized cultural (e.g., racial, ethnic, religious) groups in the U.S. Census.
- Proofread a 2016 market research conference’s program; edited a client’s book proposal for submission to a major publishing house; and edited a foreign client’s marketing letter for U.S. spelling and grammar.
- Demonstrates autonomy as an independent contractor who works remotely, and demonstrates time management skills by consistently meeting (or beating) stringent deadlines.
Adjunct Instructor of Communication, DePaul University, Chicago, IL - Sep. 2009-Current
- Plan and execute creative lesson plans that address multiple learning styles for courses such as Intercultural Communication; create assessments and deliver assignment feedback, and provide mentoring.
- Presented a PechaKucha 20x20 research presentation to an audience of students and peers during Dimensions of Communication 2016, a College of Communication symposium.
- Exhibited collaboration skills as a member of a committee that successfully developed and launched a business- oriented public speaking course called Business and Professional Communication.
Research Assistant, University of Cambridge, Multiple Locations - Aug. 2014-Apr. 2015
- Organized information gathered at the National Library of Korea and other South Korean institutions during a fieldwork trip for a Beyond the Korean War Project, which was co-funded by the Academy of Korean Studies.
- Co-authored a research paper entitled, “Producing Political Landscape on the Korean Peninsula: Divided Visions, United Vista,” which was published as part of the SOAS-AKS Working Papers in Korean Studies II.
- Displayed cross-disciplinary cooperation skills during the co-presentation of the above paper at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London in April of 2015.
Communication Lecturer and Fellow, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI - Aug. 2010-May 2014
- Created and taught two face-to-face sections of Introduction to Film; co-facilitated an online section of Introduction to Film, and provided support for two lecture hall sections of Survey of Mass Communication.
- Provided individualized assignment feedback for 40-300 students in each class, mentoring students one-on-one and directing underperforming students to additional resources to help them succeed.
- Demonstrated determination and teamwork as a member of the cross-functional team that successfully designed the New Media Minor, which was approved and subsequently offered to undergraduate students.
Ph.D. Communication, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI - May 2018
M.A. Organizational & Multicultural Communication, DePaul University, Chicago, IL - June 2009
B.A. Interdisciplinary Communications, Olivet College, Olivet, MI - May 1994
Sherri is kind, patient, and caring. She wants you to succeed and she will do everything she can to help you get there. Don’t hesitate! She is amazing!
She's a great teacher and a true inspiration. She is knowledgeable, committed, professional and kind. 100% recommendable!!
ESL lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, vocabulary - english lessons for all!
Taking writing comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$20||$20|