I am “old school” in my editorial philosophy, believing that skillful writing is accomplished, not by inventive personal whims, but through following established rules of grammar and syntax. My interest in tutoring stems from a desire to foster traditional standards of sound composition and style. Lacking an "academie" in the United States, I view editors as those responsible for the preservation of our language, its wealth of vocabulary and beauty of structure. I relish the opportunity to participate in this important occupation.
Although I am an opera singer, I was born into a family of educators. My parents were both public school teachers, as are two of my brothers, a sister, and a sister-in-law. Education was, and is, highly valued by my family. I have garnered extensive experience editing for the performing artists’ union, colleagues, friends, and the children of friends. I have tutored at the high school and college level, and substitute taught in elementary and middle school. I understand pedagogical methodology, but I believe learning should be a pleasant endeavor, free of stress.
Lessons cancelled less than twenty-four hours before the scheduled time will be charged as taught.
Performing arts professional with twenty-four years of experience. Highly motivated and self-disciplined, possessing excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
Private Editor and Tutor
2009 – Present
Gratis service to church, friends, and colleagues
• Review pamphlets produced by Harbor Bible Church, Laurence Harbor, New Jersey; assist pastor with correspondence.
• Instruct undergraduate and graduate students in points of grammar and style; review and provide feedback in preparation of written materials.
• Review and edit correspondence for professional colleagues.
Metropolitan, San Francisco, San Diego, New York City, and Los Angeles Operas, Lyric Opera of Chicago, Salzburg Landestheater, etc., April 1994 – Present
Over 700 performances in more than 75 roles in 12 languages, over 110 productions with more than 40 companies
• Prepare roles for performance from memory including score preparation, linguistic translation and transliteration, and phonetic diction.
• Compose correspondence for professional agent, company management, directors, and conductors.
• Maintain up-to-date performance materials including composition, review, and editing of materials distributed by professional agent.
• Edit biographical material to conform to word-count program requirements of opera companies.
• Prepare and file US and foreign income taxes including review of all relevant revenue code; file returns in state, local, and foreign jurisdictions.
American Guild of Musical Artists
Served on the Board of Governors and as Vice-Chair of the Membership and Member Relations Committee (MMRC)
• Prepared, reviewed, and edited all resolutions from MMRC to the Board of Governors.
• Contributed to and served as principal editor of union handbooks and quarterly publication.
• Co-edited union’s quarterly publication AGMAzine.
• Served as major contributor and principal editor of union handbooks for Governors, Delegates, and the membership at large.
Library of Congress
Supervisory Technician, Special Collections Processing, Music Division, August 1991 – February 1994
• Supervised eight to twelve technicians preparing historical documents for archival storage in newly-established Section of the Music Division.
• Composed training and processing standards for Section.
• Drafted Division’s finding guide template.
• Coordinated with Music Specialists to determine project needs and assign technicians according to skills and abilities.
• Evaluated job performance of technicians and prepared written reports for Chief of the Music Division.
• Assessed needs and prepared purchase orders for Section and Division supplies to ensure archival materials were available for technicians and Music Specialists in compliance with federal policies and budgetary constraints.
• Served as principal editor for new position descriptions project composing new descriptions for all special collections technicians throughout the Library.
• Co-coordinated the Combined Federal Campaign for charitable contributions.
Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH B.M., Voice Performance, 1989
University of North Carolina at Greensboro M.M., Performance Studies, Pi Kappa Lambda, 1991
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest creative writing lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking Resume / Cover letter writing prep has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|