My approach to teaching is to focus on "hands on the keyboard" learning, adding readings and homework as needed to keep progress steady. I can tailor the approach to the interests and experience level of each individual. I can also help with resume writing to prepare for the first job out of school, and advise on job search techniques.
I am a computer professional recently retired from Healthcare IT. I have taught well over 20 young folks as they entered the working world in Microsoft office tools ( Word, Excel, Powerpoint), systems analysis techniques (Microsoft Visio), project management (Microsoft Project) and IT security fundamentals.
I am also experienced in helping students to find and follow their strengths, to prepare for getting their first job.
My students have all gone on to have successful careers and most have been promoted within one to two years.
I focus on hands on exercises and provide as much support as each individual needs. No prior experience is needed.
ANDREW M. LABAND
An enterprising and high-performing IT executive specializing in healthcare and biomedical research, with experience in large-scale technical deployments, custom system development, IT security, technical standards, vendor management, infrastructure development, system implementations, support of research, business requirements, and change management in highly matrixed environments. Administers internal assessments to deliver measurable results, strengthening technical operations. A highly skilled producer who utilizes strong communication skills to build and work with cross-functional teams and partnering with all levels of management to complete complex projects, improve clinical processes and outcomes, control costs, and redefine expectations.
MCLEAN HOSPITAL/PARTNERS PSYCHIATRY AND MENTAL HEALTH, Belmont, Massachusetts
Responsible for all IT and telecom functions at expanding 430-bed academic psychiatric institution with 11 satellite facilities in two states. Reorganized IT division and expanded scope of services. Established an IT innovation program that developed three novel clinical systems in five years. Successfully installed Epic system. McLean voted top psychiatric facility 20 of last 22 years by U.S. News & World Report
• Supported and enhanced MEDITECH system from 2010 to 2017.
• Supported research enterprise, an affiliate of Harvard Medical School and member of Partners HealthCare. McLean’s research programs generated 25% of hospital revenue Doubled IS department productivity in two years with no growth in staff through major reorganization. Established new values, redefined roles, and built engagement with IT staff, clinical, and business teams.
• Partnered with clinicians to develop novel IT systems. Built clinical measurement initiative system capturing patient-generated information and delivering analysis to improve patient outcomes, support evidence-based medicine, and enhance research.
• Implemented I-CBT system providing therapeutic services over Internet to reduce patient wait times for treatment, lower costs, and integrate psychiatric services into primary care environment.
• Deployed live streaming video, video recording, and secure, on demand access to videos. Expanded number of rooms equipped with new capabilities.
• Expanded infrastructure to support new capabilities.
• Served as member of Partners Enterprise Innovation Council, a group of innovators charged with developing new model for harvesting innovation across $10,000,000,000 Partners enterprise.
BOSTON CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL, Boston, Massachusetts
IT Manager, Research Systems, 2002-2009
Responsible for developing and supporting varied IT systems and services to support the $300,000,000 research enterprise at Boston Children’s Hospital, an affiliate of Harvard Medical School. Created dedicated IT project management team for research.
• Spearheaded strategy development, team building, system development, implementation, and support for in-house developed and vendor systems.
• Built and supervised project teams ranging in size from 4 to 25.
• Created custom PI portal and data warehouse giving scientists and administrators direct access to financial data.
• Built custom online grants library to support grant submission to grants.gov.
• Implemented Click Commerce systems for online grants management and IRB compliance.
• Implemented and enhanced BA3 financial system to allow academic departments to reconcile grant expenses to institutional finance system (PeopleSoft).
TERADYNE INC., Boston, Massachusetts, Corporate Engineering IT, 2001-2002. Led cross-divisional efforts to centralize multisite engineering IT environment. ITD Division Web Manager, 2000-2001. Developed customer-facing web-based system allowing customers to configure equipment upgrades over the web. Reduced turnaround time on upgrades from weeks to minutes.
PARTNERS HEALTHCARE SYSTEM, Boston, Massachusetts, Corporate IT Manager, Clinical Labs, 1998-2000. Spearheaded IT support for all clinical labs at Mass General Hospital, as well as five satellite labs. Migrated four existing systems to Sunquest. Completed all lab Y2K remediation. Corporate IT Manager, Research, 1996-1998. Led start-up group implemented to define and deliver central IT support to newly created Partners research community, with annual grant revenues of $900,000,000.
MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL HOSPITAL, Boston, Massachusetts, IT Research Program Manager, 1994-1996. Led start-up group defining and delivering central IS systems and services for research. Senior Project Manager, 1988-1994. Oversaw co-development effort with LIS vendor, enhancing new lab info system; new system supported 30% increase in lab volume with no additional staff. Deployed system across ten clinical labs.
SHARED MEDICAL SYSTEMS, Malvern, Pennsylvania, Senior Systems Analyst, 1985-1988. Led requirements definition and testing efforts to develop multifacility lab system.
THOMAS JEFFERSON UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Operating Room Manager, 1982-1985. Conceived and developed novel system linking scheduling of ORs with hospital beds to substantially reduce length of stay. Oversaw all operational, fiscal, and IT system support for 20-room operating suite. Fellowship in Hospital Administration, 1981-1982.
During 1980, obtained Master’s degree.
BOSTON UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER, Boston, Massachusetts, Biochemistry Research Technician, 1976-1979.
BOSTON UNIVERSITY, Boston, Massachusetts
M.B.A., Health Care Management, 1981
TUFTS UNIVERSITY, Medford, Massachusetts
B.S., Biology, 1976
CHIME Certified Healthcare CIO, 2013
CHIME Member, 2013
MHDC Member, 2012
HIMSS Member, 2010
AMIA Member, 2009
Busch A, Laband A, Kos A, Weigel T. Developing and implementing an electronic patient reported outcomes measurement using REDCap in usual care psychiatric settings. Connected Health Symposium, volume 2, No 1, Dec 2016
Busch A, Laband A, Kos A, Weigel T., Initial findings from patient reported outcomes gathered electronically. Harvard/McLean research day 2014 poster session
Partners in Excellence Award, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
basic computer lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest information technology lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, microsoft powerpoint lessons for all!
Taking gmail lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|