I teach STEM subjects, Reading, and ELA according to current common core curriculum, but I relate the strategies needed per the individual. I firmly believe in teaching to the individual starting where the student is in order to reach success.
I am a successful mid-level career biochemist who has also been a private K-12 tutor (STEM, Reading, and ELA) for 5 years. My double minor in college was biology and mathematics; and I enjoy manipulating numbers and teaching the subjects.
Laboratory Research Associate with 9 years of experience in public health-related research inspired to spread STEM education for aspiring youth and adults
• 10 years of experience using in vitro models to provide evidence supporting advancements in public-health (and 3 years using in vitro methods to develop rapid toxicological predictive screening methods)
• 5 years developing/optimizing methods and standard operating procedures to continually improve the quality and quantity of useful scientific data
• 5 years training students in STEM subjects, Reading, and ELA
• 3 years developing and applying Molecular Biology and Virology methods to support efforts in surveillance and immunogenicity studies involving infectious agents
• 3 years training fellow lab technicians and research staff to perform various essential tasks
• 1 year Education Program Director
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Autoimmune Technologies, LLC, New Orleans, LA
Research Associate II, Infectious and Autoimmune Disease Diagnostics/R&D
• Developing optimal antibody delivery systems for various prophylactic and therapeutic biologics
• Evaluating in vitro transient and episomal antibody production using Immunological assays (i.e. ELISA, BLI, etc.)
• Generating antibody affinity columns and subsequent protein purification via immunoaffinity chromatography
• Identifying and/or developing methods for determining efficacy of items in production
Food and Drug Administration/Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition/Office of Applied Research and Safety Assessment, Laurel, MD
ORISE Research Fellow, Toxicology (Hepatotoxicology)
• Evaluating rat and human hepatoma cell lines for in vitro liver toxic responses to dietary supplements and botanicals (extracts/commercial preparations) to assist regulatory decisions
• In vitro cell model validation and qualification for predictive hepatotoxicity determinations
• Identifying relative gene expressions and changes in hepatocytes using RTPCR and rtPCR methods of quantitative analysis
• Assisting with metabolomics analysis via Q-TOF LC/MS to determine drug intermediates and metabolites for hepatotoxicity determination
• Assay and protocol optimization (fluorometry, flow cytometry, and cell culture)
• Coordinating research projects by ensuring the availability of equipment and supplies
U.S. Navy/Henry M. Jackson Foundation, Silver Spring, MD
Laboratory Research Technician, Microbiology/Viral Immunology
• Assessing the temporal effectiveness of influenza vaccines through analysis of serum and matched plasma samples
• Protocol and assay optimization (Virus propagation in embryonated hens’ eggs; ELISA for IgG Subtype Quantification)
• Assay optimization (ELISA of intact virus, HAI)
• Viral DNA/RNA extraction, quantification, purification, and sequencing (Sequencher 4.9)
• Reporting data to FDA, SAIC, and military sources (MS Excel format)
B.S. Biochemistry, May 2005
Xavier University of Louisiana, New Orleans, LA
Minors: Biology and Mathematics
• 5th Annual Foods and Veterinary Medicine Science and Research Conference (White Oak, MD 8/2015) “HCS LipidTox Fluorometric Detection of Phospholipid Accumulation Induced by Amphetamine Analogs Found in Dietary Supplements”
• Metabolomics Society 11th Annual Conference (San Francisco/Burlingame, CA 8/2015) “Identification of Putative Metabolites of Norcoclaurine and Coclaurine in Human and Rat Hepatoma Cells Using Untargeted Global Metabolomics”
• 2015 Science Forum Emerging Technologies (White Oak, MD 5/2015) “Untargeted Global Metabolomics for Identification on of Biomarkers of Liver Toxicity and Liver-Generated Metabolites of Food-Related Chemicals”
• Society of Toxicology 53rd Annual Meeting (Phoenix, AZ 3/2014) “Up-regulation of CYP3A4 and CYP1A1/2 Activities in HuH-7 Human Hepatoma Cells with DMSO and Use of These Induced Cells to Evaluate CYP Inhibition by Botanical Extracts and Their Components”
• Society of Toxicology 53rd Annual Meeting (Phoenix, AZ 3/2014) “Effects of Phenylethylamines on Huh-7 Human Hepatoma Cells Studied with Untargeted Global Metabolomics”
Publications & Scientific/Technical Contributions:
• Mossoba, Miriam E. et al. “Diglycolic acid induces HepG2/C3A liver cell toxicity in vitro”. Toxicology in Vitro. 52. 10.1016/j.tiv.2018.06.006.
• Mossoba, Miriam E. et al. “Comparison of Diglycolic Acid Exposure to Human Proximal Tubule Cells in vitro and Rat Kidneys in vivo”. Toxicology Reports. 4. 10.1016/j.toxrep.2017.06.011.
• Mossoba, Miriam E. et al. “Evaluation of ‘Dream Herb,’ Calea Zacatechichi, for Nephrotoxicity Using Human Kidney Proximal Tubule Cells.” Journal of Toxicology 2016 (2016): 9794570. PMC. Web. 23 June 2018.
• Liu, Yitong and Thomas J. Flynn. “CYP3A4 inhibition by Psoralea corylifolia and its major components in human recombinant enzyme, differentiated human hepatoma HuH-7 and HepaRG cells.” Toxicology reports (2015).
• Defang, Gabriel N. et al. “Comparative Analysis of Hemagglutination Inhibition Titers Generated Using Temporally Matched Serum and Plasma Samples.” Ed. Dhanasekaran Vijaykrishna. PLoS ONE 7.12 (2012): e48229. PMC. Web. 23 June 2018.
Courses and Training:
• GraphPad In Stat (v. 3.10) for Biostatistics, FDA
• Statistical Analysis Software (SAS) for Biostatistics, FDA
• Mid-America Toxicological Course, FDA
• Fera-JIFSAN International Food Safety Annual Symposium, FDA
• Seahorse XFe96 Technology for Cell Metabolism, Seahorse Bioscience Inc.
• WES Technology, (Automated Western Assays), Protein Simple Inc.
• BioPlex System, Luminex Technology, BioRad Inc.
• Guava Flow Cytometry (Cell Cycle, ViaCount), Millipore Corp.
• Nikon TS100 Microscopy and Elements Software, Nikon Instruments Inc.
• Mass spectrometry (LC/MS/QTOF), Agilent Technologies Inc.
• Assay Guidance Workshop for High Throughput Screening and Lead Discovery, FDA
• SOT FDA Food Safety Colloquium: Critical Issues in Risk Assessment Webcast, SOT/FDA
• Predicting Toxicity by Combining Chemical Structure and Gene Expression Analysis in a Systematic Way, FDA
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES
• Biochemistry. ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) optimization, polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, fluorescence-based assays
• Toxicology. Mathematical and statistical methods application to in vitro data to determine toxicological exposure by dietary supplements; spectrofluorometry (and inverted microscopy) for hepatotoxicity endpoint determinations (i.e. oxidative stress, and cytochrome P450 activity)
• Microbiology. Aseptic methods, cell culture, inoculation, transfection, DNA and RNA extraction (purification, quantification, and sequencing), polymerase chain reaction (reverse transcriptase PCR, and real time PCR), agarose gel electrophoresis, Plaque Reduction Neutralization Assay (PRNT) of various virus types and strains, Immunofluorescent Antibody (IFA) of Dengue Virus subtypes, Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for determining the virulence of Influenza strains, Luminex for expression analysis
• Chemistry. Preparing standard and sample solutions, extractions, organic compound characterization, HPLC, GC/MS, LC/MS, MS/MS, FTIR, ICP-OES, UV-Vis spectroscopy, IR spectroscopy, wet Chemistry: measurement of concentration, conductivity, density, moisture, pH, viscosity
• Hematology. Flow cytometry, patient sample handling, manual (normal and abnormal) white blood cell counts
• cGLP and cGMP compliance
• Computer and internet proficiency. Prism, MS Excel Spreadsheet, SAS, GraphPad In Stat, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, Adobe CC, online research journals and chemical/biological databases (i.e. PubMed, METLIN Database)
• Effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Constructed a manuscript as first author and presented findings at an annual FDA Science and Research Conference; contributed intellectually to three scientific poster presentations and three international publications; initiated, organized, and managed the development of a new brown bag series for keeping CFSAN ORISE Fellows informed about policies and opportunities for career advancement and success; developed/optimized multiple Standard Operating Procedures; maintained lab notebooks and daily records involving projects and equipment proficiency under FDA regulation guidelines for six years (including three years prior to working within the FDA)
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest chemistry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, precalculus & calculus lessons for all!
Taking biochemistry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$35||$30|
|5 hours||Not available||$150||$150|
|10 hours||Not available||$250||$300|