Solid business management experience; prodigious communication skills; a reputation for recognizing emerging opportunities, providing strategic solutions, and executing successful business plans; all driven by innovative and critical thinking processes, an unwavering commitment to quality management, fostering participation, a passion for being challenged, and I enjoy challenging feedback – these are just some of the signature potency that I can supply to your learning experience.
For the last seven years I have been a business instructor for the University of Alaska, Fairbanks (UAF) . Some of my background has included the development of an Entrepreneurship course for the UAF School of Management, facilitating teamwork workshops, community workshops on bullying in the workplace, faculty advisor student business clubs, Fairbanks Lemonade Day (national event) project management advisor, to name a few.
JAMES C. MCDERMOTT M.S.
123 Chief Evan Drive, Fairbanks, Alaska 99709 • (concealed information) • (concealed information)
Exceptional Leadership Built on Integrity, Earned Trust, and Innovative Thinking
Detail-oriented, forward thinking leader with a passion and enthusiasm for teaching and student success. Solid business management experience, personnel supervision, marketing, sales, budget management, and inventory control. Twenty-two years in the United States Air Force taught the importance of leadership and teamwork; developing clearly defined objectives and successfully executing them; skills which are transferable to the business sector. Over ten years of successful experience in a college environment; academic advising, counseling, teaching, and mentoring.
Inspirational Leader Effective Communicator Professional Etiquette
Build a team. Lead the team. Committed to honest and open Integrity and responsibility above
Inspire them to greatness. communication. Reputation as all else. Never allow self-interest
Value diversity as one of our a strong relationship-builder to trump organizational needs.
greatest strengths, and foster with students, faculty, and And always check your bias and
the unique in each individual. administration. ego at the door.
• Skilled Facilitator of Team Projects • Distinguished Public Speaker • Outstanding Analytical Skills • Proactive • Enthusiastic • Energetic • Committed to Excellence • Willing to Go the Extra Mile • Able to Recognize Emerging Opportunities, Provide Strategic Solutions, and Execute Plan Successfully
FAIRBANKS YOUTH ADVOCATES AUG. 2016—PRESENT
Board Member (volunteer): The work of Fairbanks Youth Advocates is focused on the whole person – a holistic approach to addressing the needs of at-risk and vulnerable youth in transition.
UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA, FAIRBANKS AUG. 2008—July 2016
UAF Term & Adjunct Instructor
Prepare and present lectures, design and administer exams, research and compile instructional material. Courses taught include Small Business Management, Intro to Business, Organization Behavior, Entrepreneurship, and Organization Change & Development. I was the faculty advisor for the UAF Associated Students of Business 2009-2012 & faculty advisor College Entrepreneurial Organization 2013-2016.
I took on additional duties for colleague who'd fallen ill. Students had large scale project and presentation on Management Proficiency to complete in short order. I reworked my coursework & personal schedules to accommodate getting up to speed on project objectives, and map out strategy. Conducted morning, evening and weekend sessions with students, along with Internet chats to ensure we remained on task. Result: Delivered inspired, energetic presentation, on schedule. Client stated we surpassed expectations.
UA SMALL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT CENTER • FAIRBANKS, AK MAR. 2006— NOV. 2007
Small Business Development Center Counselor
I provided business counseling. Developed and facilitated small business workshops and outreach
activities to the community.
• Notable Achievements: Under my direction, SBDC coordinated quarterly Women Entrepreneurship Networking events, which allowed for leadership, networking, and mentoring for women in Fairbanks.
AXIA COLLEGE (UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX) 2005—2008
Critical Thinking and Informational Technology on-line courses. Notably; I was successful in meeting the challenge of delivering quality, distant education via technology advancements. Making me accessible, and practicing diligent follow-up with my students, created a rewarding learning experience.
UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA, ANCHORAGE (UAA) 2004—2006
Student Enrollment Advisor
I counseled students concerning their enrollment, financial aid, records, and registration requirements. . Maintained UAA Customer Resource Management e-files containing tens of thousands of student transactions and individual records.
WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY • ANCHORAGE, AK 2003—2005
I taught courses in Windows XP, Microsoft Business Application software, Management Information
Systems, and Business Electronic Commerce.
• Required my having a minimum of 18 graduate credit hours specializing in IT.
DEVRY UNIVERSITY, ALASKA 2001—2003
College Recruiter & Student Enrollment Advisor
Interviewed and conducted interest evaluations with prospective students and families, and provided instruction on admissions and financial aid requirements. I conducted career workshops in virtually all schools in Alaska, reaching out to several thousand students.
• Notable Achievement: DeVry's “2003 New Comer of the Year”
STATE OF ALASKA, ALASKA PSYCHIATRIC INSTITUTE 1999—2001
I was administrator for MSDS Database, purchaser medical supplies/equipment, distribution supervisor.
ANCHORAGE SCHOOL DISTRICT • ANCHORAGE, AK 1998—1999
Distribution Manager, managed supply/equipment distribution for 86 ASD schools. I served as Department Information System Trainer for ASD warehouse personnel, financial, payroll, and HR.
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE 1975—1998
Rank Achieved: Master Sergeant (Honorable Discharge)
Medals Received: 4 Air Force Commendation Medals, Humanitarian Service Medal, 7 Good Conduct
Managed numerous personnel • Controlled and managed Material Control & Chief of Supply budgets • Managed Multi-Million dollar Inventory budgets • Strict adherence to prescribed budgets eliminated need for additional funding Monitored President's “Fraud, Waste, and Abuse” budget policy, and saved tens of thousands of dollars in wasteful spending • Respected Leader, earned through trust, integrity, and a passion for excellence.
M.S. in Business Organizational Management, Concentration: IT – University of La Verne, California
B.S. in Occupational Education, Concentration: Business Administration – Wayland Baptist University, Texas
Continuing Education and Community Involvement
• 64 graduate credit hours at Capella University School of Business – PhD in Organization and Management
- Managing and Organizing People
- Business General Specialization
- Res and Writing for Graduate Leaders
- Marketing Strategy and Practice
• Supervised bringing the national Lemonade Day event to Fairbanks Alaska during 2011-2012
• SCORE Volunteer; 2013 – July 2016
- May 2013; SCORE / Deluxe Mentoring Methodology and Certified Mentor
- 2015 SCORE Leadership Conference (August 10/2015)
• Volunteer Lemonade Day Judge in Fairbanks, AK – spring 2014
• Workshop Facilitator
- Workshop Bullying
- Small Business Idea Start-ups
- Social Media Planning
• UAF Faculty Learning Committee; Blended Learning (2013-14)
• Successfully completed NCU Post graduate class: Building Organizational Capacity (02/2016)
• UAF Academic Leadership Institute (2015-16)
• UAF Rural Honors Institute, Instructor (Summer 2016)
• Published: International Journal of Business Administration Vol. 7, No. 4; July 2016
• Campaigned for Libertarian nomination for U.S. House of Representatives Jan. 2016 – Aug. 2016
• Campaigned as Libertarian candidate for U.S. House of Representatives Aug. 2016 – Nov. 2016
I'm the former Fairbanks Alaska Small Business Development Center Director and SCORE certified as a small business mentor. I have facilitated small...
management lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest marketing lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, microeconomics lessons for all!
Taking gmat test prep lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|